McKay School History is BYU's History
The Brigham Young Academy was established on October 16, 1875, with Warren N. Dusenberry as interim principal. Karl G. Maeser became the principal on April 14, 1876.
The Brigham Young Academy was a normal school, with the purpose of training teachers and establishing teaching standards or norms, hence the name. Some Academy students were at the elementary level and received tutoring from older students. By August
28, 1876, the academy had three academic departments: normal, intermediate, and primary.
On January 4, 1892, Benjamin Cluff Jr. became Principal of the Brigham Young Academy and head of the Latter-day Saints Normal Training School. The organization was changed to include the following:
- Primary School
- High School
- College or Collegiate Department
- Commercial College
On October 23, 1903 Brigham Young Academy became Brigham Young University. On April 16, 1903 George H. Brimhall was named president of BYU.
Deans of the College of Education/McKay School of Education
Your own department may have also gone through name changes.
The Department of Communication Disorders
- was Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
The Department of Counseling Psychology and Special Education
- was the Department of counseling and Special Education
- and before that the Department of Educational Psychology
Teacher Education was once two separate departments
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
Instructional Psychology and Technology has been renamed twice
- Instructional Science
- Instructional Psycology
In 1954, the Department of Physical Education, Health and Recreation became a separate college. In 2010 that department was absorbed into other colleges around campus with the Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) relocated in the Department of Teacher Education in the McKay School.?
* Ernest L. Wilkinson’s Brigham Young University: The First Hundred Years
* Department of Counseling Psychology and Special Education, A Chronological History compiled by Darwin Gale