The Arts Express Summer Conference for Elementary Educators is a two-day event that provides arts integration instruction in all five art forms--dance, drama, media arts, music, and visual arts--with special insights on ways to integrate the arts with core curriculum. The conference is for classroom teachers, administrators, and parents; we suggest that they might attend together as they work to create a school rich in arts instruction and integration.
As a conclusion to the first day of the conference, a guest artist performs for the participants. Past guest artists have included Jon Schmidt, a popular pianist, and ~AirFare~, a clarinet and flute duo. The culminating event for Arts Express in an informance during which teachers demonstrate skills and products developed during the conference. We believe that arts can be experienced by collaborative informing as well as by polished performing. We inform each other about the learning received in the workshops and celebrate ways to improve our classroom practice.
The 2015 Arts Express Theme is "Converting Pressure to Power with STEAM"; ideas and techniques for integrating the arts with Common Core State Standards will be emphasized.
Goals of Arts Express
- Increase teachers' skills in the arts: dance, drama, media arts, music, and visual arts
- Increase teachers' skills in arts integration
- Provide a space for teachers who are interested in the arts to collaborate and network
- Provide aesthetic arts experiences for teachers
- Provide support and encouragement for educators to teach and integrate the arts in school classrooms