BS Special Education: Frequently Asked Questions, Prospective Students

What are the due dates for applications?

All undergraduate application deadlines can be found on our home page.


Can I take courses on my own schedule?

No. All courses must be taken with the assigned cohort at the scheduled time.


Can I make a course substitution?

Students may request that coursework from another university be substituted for one of their BYU requirements. To request a substitution, meet with an academic advisor in the McKay School of Education Student Services (ESS) Office in 350 MCKB. Substitution is approved on an individual basis.


Can I work during the program? If I have a job, how long can I keep it?

Most students are able to hold a part-time job while attending classes, but students are not required to have a job while completing the program.


What unexpected costs might come up? (i.e., internship application)

Students can anticipate needing to pay certain fees throughout the program. For example, all students must pay a fee for fingerprinting prior to applying to the program; also registration fees are required for the PRAXIS exam.


For more information visit the McKay School of Education Student Services Office.


How can I be more involved in the field as I participate in the program?

  • Adaptive Aquatics

  • Friday’s Kids Respite and other disability-related service organizations

  • Best Buddies

  • Student Council for Exceptional Children

  • Volunteer experience within BYU–Public School Partnership school districts (Alpine, Jordan, Nebo, Provo, and Wasatch)


I don’t have a vehicle. How can I get to all the schools?

Most students either ride the bus or join a carpool if they don’t have a personal vehicle to travel to their practicum/student teaching/internship sites.


What is the technology skills assessment?

All candidates must demonstrate proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and internet use. These four assessments take 30 minutes each and can be taken in the TEC Lab, 180 MCKB.


What if I want to complete a minor in addition to my special education major?

For a list of recommended minors, please click here.

Department List Content Types: 
Counseling Psychology & Special Education (CPSE)