- Begin or continue discussions with your principal about your interests in administration.
- Look for and act on leadership opportunities at your school.
- Plan NOW to study for and take one of the graduate examinations at least TWO MONTHS before the application deadline (GRE, MAT, GMAT, LSAT).
- Attend one of the School Leadership Program Information Meetings in the fall.
- Download the PowerPoint slides from the 2015 Information Meeting Presentation.
- Call or email us if you have questions at 801-422-4291 - email@example.com
The School Leadership Program has both a full-time track (LPP) and a part-time track (ExSL). You may apply to either one or both. See the Program Tracks page for more information and videos of alumni describing both tracks.
Complete applications for BOTH the BYU Graduate School and the School Leadership Program.
Applicants are responsible to ensure that all application materials are received by the Educational Leadership and Foundations Department prior to the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The application deadline for both tracks of the School Leadership Program is January 15, 2018.
Step 1: Complete the BYU Graduate Studies Application
- BYU Graduate Studies Application
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement for Graduate Admission -- BYU Honor Code commitment & confidential report from ecclesiastical leader
- Graduate exam scores (GRE, GMAT, LSAT or MAT) (Complete exams in sufficient time to submit scores to BYU before the application deadline.)
- One official transcript from all institutions attended (GPA must be above 3.0 [on a 4.0 scale].)
- Arrange for three letters of recommendation, submitted electronically. (Paper copies are not processed.)
- One from your current principal or school leader
- One from your current department chair or team leader
- Another from an individual of your choice
- TOEFL score (if necessary) A score of at least 580 on the paper based test or 85 on the internet based test (iBT) or equivalent is required for students for whom English is a second language.
Step 2: Complete School Leadership Program Application
- Creat a BYU Net ID.
- If you already have a BYU Net ID, complete the online School Leadership Application.
- If you already have a BYU Net ID but can't remember it, please call our IT support team at 801.422.4000.
- If you do not already have a BYU Net ID, please set up a BYU Net ID.
- Complete the online School Leadership Application.
- Before beginning the application, there is a simple 5-step registration process in which you will be asked to provide your BYU Net ID (or create one should you not have one). After the registration, simply choose the School Leadership Program application from the drop-down menu and begin your application processUpload a PDF of the following document:
- State of Utah Level II License (or equivalent) – More information is available in the application. Applicants are responsible for obtaining alternate evidence of Level II License equivalency from their district (e.g., counselors) or from the state (e.g., out of state applicants).
If you are having problems completing the MyLink application, please fill out our temporary workaround application that contains the same information as the MyLink application.
Applying to Multiple Tracks
You may choose to apply to LPP Track (full time), ExSL Track (part time), or LO Track (Licensure Only).You may also be considered for any combination of those three tracks, including all three tracks.
You may change your track choice at any time (prior to the January 15 application deadline) by calling the EDLF Secretaries (801-422-4291)
Please note that admissions decisions for each track are made independently and that an application for one track does not transfer to the other track without your application to that particular track.
Applicants who do not receive admission in a given year are welcome to reapply in a subsequent year.
If you are reapplying, please re-submit your application materials in our new online application process. While you may choose to re-submit your letters of recommendation, letter of intent and resume from your previous application, we encourage you to ensure that your materials are current.
Step 3: Await Notification
Qualified applicants will be invited to an on-campus screening that involves interviews and group interactions. This screening will also give applicants opportunities to meet faculty and school administrators.
Campus screening will occur shortly after January 15.
Admission Notification. Applicants will be notified about admission decisions within two weeks of the campus screening, and they are expected to notify the program of their admission acceptance in a timely manner. Those who are applying to both tracks may wait for the admission decision from both tracks before finalizing their admission acceptance. Applicants may be placed on a waiting list pending an open slot.
Program Orientation. Program orientation will be held in early April prior to starting the program. Dates for program orientation will be included in the admission notification letter.
Please refer to the financial aid page.
Additional information may be found in the Student Program Handbook.
Questions concerning the requirements and procedures for program application and admission should be directed to one of the following:
Dr. David Boren, Director of School Leadership Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
EDLF Graduate Secretary (801) 422-4291
Department of Educational Leadership and Foundations
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602
Telephone: (801) 422-4291
Fax: (801) 422-0196