To be recommended for licensure in the State of Utah, the student must have completed a teaching program which leads to licensure, passed the approved PRAXIS II exam(s), pass the OPI, if applicable, have a cleared fingerprint background clearence, and complete all requirements for graduation and the State of Utah licensing requirements.
Once the student's Bachelor's degree has been posted by the university [about 3-4 weeks after graduation] and his/her licensure requirements are fulfilled, Education Student Services (ESS), 120 MCKB will recommend the student for licensure in the State of Utah. ESS will then email the student, providing instructions that the student must follow to complete the licensure process with the Utah State Office of Education (USOE). The teaching license will be issued to the student by the USOE upon completion of the process and payment of fees.
Further information about licensure in the State of Utah can be found at the following link: Utah State Office of Education
- Early Childhood Education: Kindergarten - 3rd
- Elementary Education: Kindergarten - 6th (for those starting the El Ed program Spring 2011 or later)
- Secondary Education: 6th – 12th
- Special Education: Kindergarten - 12th
- School Psychology - EdS: Kindergarten - 12th
- Administrative/Supervisory - MEd: Kindergarten - 12th
- Communication Disorders - MS: Kindergarten - 12th
Licensing for those who already have a Bachelor's degree
1. If an individual already has received a Bachelor's degree and wishes to return to college to obtain a teaching license, contact Education Student Services, at (801) 422-3426 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to explore post the baccalaureate options.
2. We recommend that these individuals to also contact the State Office of Education (www.schools.utah.gov) to discover alternative routes to licensure.
The following institutions also offer teacher licensure programs:
Southern Utah University (SUU)
University of Phoenix
University of Utah (UofU)
801-581-6064 (Elementary & ECE)
Utah State University (USU)
435-797-0385 (Elementary & ECE)
Utah Valley University (UVU)
863-8527 (Elementary & ECE)
863-7228 / 863-8587 (Secondary)
Weber State University
Renewal of Licensing
Contact the Utah State Office of Education to renew your Utah teaching license: License Renewal
Licensing in an Another State
To obtain a teaching license in another state when you already have a Utah teaching license
1. Please contact the State Office of Education for the state in which you wish to teach in order to review their licensure requirements.
2. You may be required to complete an Institutional Verification Form. If it is required, the form will be provided by the state where you are applying to teach.
If an Institutional Verification Form is required, you will also need to complete a Release of Information Form. You will need to send the release of information form to Education Student Services along with your Institutional Verification Form. Please be sure to complete your portion of the Institutional Verifcation Form before sending it to Education Student Services.
Below is a list of State Office Webpages:
Page updated 8/20/2012
Although Education Student Services makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information found on this website, we reserve the right to make changes at any time. Students should regularly consult with their department, college advisement center, the university catalog, and Education Student Services for updates and changes.