To be recommended for licensure in the State of Utah, the student must complete a teaching program which leads to licensure; pass the approved PRAXIS II exam(s); pass the OPI, if applicable; have fingerprint background clearance; and complete all graduation requirements as well as the State of Utah licensing requirements.
Once the student's bachelor's degree has been posted by the university (about 3-4 weeks after graduation) and his/her licensure requirements are fulfilled, Education Student Services (350 MCKB) will recommend the student for licensure in the State of Utah. ESS will then email the student, providing instructions that must be followed to complete the licensure process with the Utah State Office of Education (USOE). The teaching license will be issued to the student by USOE upon completion of the process and payment of fees.
Further information about licensure in the State of Utah can be found at the following link: Utah State Office of Education
Early Childhood Education: Kindergarten - 3rd
Elementary Education: Kindergarten - 6th
Secondary Education: 6th – 12th or Kindergarten – 12th
Special Education: Kindergarten - 12th
Administrative/Supervisory (MEd): Kindergarten - 12th
Communication Disorders (MS): Kindergarten - 12th
School Psychology (EdS): Kindergarten - 12th
Licensing for Those Who Already Have a Bachelor's degree
Individuals wishing to obtain a teaching license after receiving a bachelor's degree are encouraged to explore post baccalaureate options by:
- Contacting the Utah State Office of Education (www.schools.utah.gov) to discover alternative routes to licensure.
- Contacting one of the following institutions offering teacher licensure programs:
Southern Utah University (SUU)
University of Phoenix
University of Utah (UofU)
801-581-6064 (Elementary & ECE)
Utah State University (USU)
435-797-0385 (Elementary & ECE)
Utah Valley University (UVU)
863-8527 (Elementary & ECE)
863-7228 / 863-8587 (Secondary)
Weber State University
Renewal of Licensure
Contact the Utah State Office of Education to renew your Utah teaching license: License Renewal
Licensing in Another State
To obtain a teaching license in another state when you already have a Utah teaching license
- Contact the state office of education for the state in which you wish to teach, so that you can review licensure requirements for that state.
- You may be required to complete an Institutional Verification Form. States requiring this form will provide it.
- If an Institutional Verification Form is required, you will also need to complete a Release of Information Form to send with it to Education Student Services. Please be sure to complete your portion of the Institutional Verification Form before sending it and the release to Education Student Services.
Below is a list of State Office Webpages
Page updated 12/11/15
Although Education Student Services makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information found on this website, we reserve the right to make changes at any time. Students should regularly consult with their department, college advisement center, the university catalog, and Education Student Services for updates and changes.