TELL 450 is the sixth of seven courses that lead to an ESL endorsement. This course explores the standards, principles, policies, and processes involved when schools partner with families and communities in fostering and sustaining student development. Particular attention is given to understanding the diversity of the school community and working from these characteristics in meeting student needs. Participants learn to organize and function in action teams to carry out partnership goals from the perspective that diversity is a strong resource in public school classrooms.
This course is designed with the following goals and objectives:
- To introduce the PTA National Standards for Partnering
- To present strategies for engaging parents in the education of their children
- To deepen understanding of how teachers can support parents in participating in the education process
- To explore cross-cultural communication between families and schools
- To examine the funds of knowledge that families and communities provide for learning
- To teach about specific school-based programs that connect schools, families, and communities to promote student learning