Sixteen semester hours of specific coursework are required for a gifted/talented endorsement. The following courses, developed to meet this requirement, are included in the endorsement program offered through the BYU–Public School Partnership. Although courses taken through this program are under the direction of the Partnership Gifted and Talented Committee, registration for all courses must be completed through the BYU Division of Continuing Education using 515R numbers. Parenthetical material in the list below refers to comparable on-campus courses, with semester hours indicated. Taking an on-campus course requires acceptance into BYU's McKay School of Education Graduate Program.
- Education of the Gifted (CPSE 589R)–2 hours
- Social & Emotional Needs of the Gifted & Talented (CPSE 589R)–2 hours
- Identification of the Gifted (CPSE 589R)–2 hours
- Models and Systems of the Gifted in Education (CPSE 589R)–2 hours
- Curriculum in Gifted Education (CPSE 589R)–2 hours
- Practica in Gifted & Talented (CPSE 589R)–4 hours
- ElectiveApproved by the Gifted & Talented Committee–2 hours
Fees for courses taught off campus have been established as follows:
- 2-credit course = $100.00 per candidate
Each course includes a BYU Continuing Education posting fee:
- $64.00 per 2-credit course
A candidate desiring to substitute courses from another college or university for one or more of the required courses in this program will need to contact the Utah State Office of Education for approval.
Courses taught in this program are designed to meet Utah State Office of Education (USOE) Teaching Standards for Gifted and Talented Students.
All course components (objectives, instructional strategies, evaluation procedures, etc.) are correlated by the Gifted and Talented Committee. Instructors who teach courses or practica will prepare a course syllabus outlining the course content, course requirements, instructional strategies, schedules for topics/assignments, assessment strategies and procedures, and reference materials.
To meet the four-semester hour practicum requirement, candidates can select from the following options:
- Complete two hours through one of the Bright Ideas summer sessions and add two hours during the following year's Bright Ideas session
- Complete two hours through one of the Bright Ideas summer sessions and the other two hours through an approved practicum experience conducted under the supervision of a GT representative in one of the five partnership school districts
- Complete all two hours in a pre-approved practicum experience under the supervision of a GT representative in one of the five partnership school districts
All practica–both Bright Ideas sessions and district experiences–must be applied for and arranged by the candidate with one of the Gifted and Talented Committee's district representatives. Registration for all practicum hours will be under the direction of the Gifted and Talented Committee and completed through the BYU Division of Continuing Education. The registration times for and description of the district-supervised practica will be arranged in advance between the district GT representatives and the candidates.