Questions to Ask when Negotiating an Academic Contract
- Am I bound to an eight or twelve months contract?
- Will I be required to work summers? Will it be an option?
- When will I be expected to be at school and hold office hours?
- What is the university's advancement policy? Is there tenure?
- What is the publishing requirement?
- Are software or other creative products considered in fulfilling it?
- What are the retirement options/packages or tax shelters?
- What is included in the family benefits package?
- Is there money to hire teaching assistants?
- Is it in-house funding?
- Is there university funding available for research?
- What sort of travel budget is available annually?
- How many classes are considered a full teaching load?
- How many students are normally in the classes I will be teaching?
- How soon will I be granted graduate teaching status?
- How much control over content will I have in the course I teach?
- How about sections? How much autonomy will I have?
- Is there support for course development?
- Who has ownership over what I develop, e.g., textbooks, videos, programs?
- How many consulting days will I receive per month?
- How are consulting fees handled? Grant money?
- How is over-load handled (money from outside sources going to the university and being distributed)?
- What office space is available for me?
- How are parking, Xeroxing, printing, secretarial, long distance calls handled?
- What sort of computers, technology, tech support, software, upgrades, Web space, and input on equipment selection will I have?