The Education Advisement Center, 350 MCKB
Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except holidays and during devotionals held on Tuesdays from 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.)
What to Bring
- Your authorization form (see item 6 below)
- A photo ID
- Your U.S. Social Security card
- A picture of your actual card will suffice
- If you are currently or have been employed by BYU, a U.S. Social Security card is not necessary
Fingerprint Background Clearance Steps
- Go to the Utah State Office of Education (USOE) webpage: www.utah.gov/teachers
- Click Background Check (Initial Licensure)
- Complete the online registration
- Register with your name as it appears on your Social Security card
- Enter "Brigham Young University" as your institution
- Enter your U.S. Social Security number—please verify that your SSN was entered correctly (if you do not have a U.S. Social Security number, you must obtain one at http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/)
- Print the USOE LiveScan authorization form at the end of the registration process (save a copy of your USOE authorization form to your computer)
- Bring your authorization form and your Social Security card to Education Advisement Center, 350 MCKB
- BYU students will be billed $10 in their financial center for the fingerprint processing service. Non-BYU students must pay $20 online at https://commerce.cashnet.com/webfbc and provide proof of payment before being fingerprinted.
Important: Students have 60 days from the date on the LiveScan authorization form to have their fingerprints taken. Those who wait beyond the 60 days must restart the process and pay an additional fee.
Although the Education Advisement Center makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information found on this website, we reserve the right to make changes at any time. Students should regularly consult with their department, college advisement center, the university catalog, and the Education Advisement Center for updates and changes.