During the coronavirus shutdown, we will not be providing fingerprinting services until further notice. Please contact our office at 801-422-3426 if you have any further questions.
The Education Advisement Center, 350 MCKB
Monday and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Tuesday - Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. (Closed during devotionals held on Tuesdays from 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.)
(Holiday and Summer break hours vary)
What to Bring
- Your authorization form (see item 6 below)
- A photo ID
- Your U.S. Social Security card
- A picture of your actual card will suffice
- If you are currently or have been employed by BYU in the past 10 years, a U.S. Social Security card is not necessary
Fingerprint Background Clearance Steps
- Go to the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) webpage: www.utah.gov/teachers
- Click Background Check (Initial Licensure)
- Complete the online registration
- Register with your name as it appears on your Social Security card
- Enter "Brigham Young University" as your institution
- Enter your U.S. Social Security number—please verify that your SSN was entered correctly (if you do not have a U.S. Social Security number, you must obtain one at http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/)
- Print the USBE LiveScan authorization form at the end of the registration process (save a copy of your USBE authorization form to your computer)
- Bring your authorization form and your Social Security card to Education Advisement Center, 350 MCKB
- BYU students will be billed $10 in their financial center for the fingerprint processing service. Non-BYU students must pay $20 online at https://commerce.cashnet.com/webfbc, and provide proof of payment before being fingerprinted.
Apply through Educator
- Create an EDUCATOR account at https://educator.byu.edu
- Select "Start A New Admissions Application" or "Start A New Fingerprint Application" (If applying for Fingerprints only)
- Complete the steps as instructed and submit.
Complete your fingerprint LiveScan
- Come to EAC in 350 MCKB or one of the authorized LiveScan sites as provided by the USBE
- Bring the following:
- USBE LiveScan Authorization Form
- Social Security card, picture of the card, or verification of BYU employment
- Photo ID (student ID card or government issued ID)
Important: Students have 60 days from the date on the LiveScan authorization form to have their fingerprints taken. Those who wait beyond the 60 days must restart the process and pay an additional fee.
Although the Education Advisement Center makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information found on this website, we reserve the right to make changes at any time. Students should regularly consult with their department, college advisement center, the university catalog, and the Education Advisement Center for updates and changes.