It is the students' responsibility to regularly consult this page, the Education Advisement Center (350 MCKB,, 801-422-3426), and their college advisement centers for updates on changes for program entrance, graduation, and licensure requirements.


To declare a teaching major, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Declare a pre-teaching major with her or his respective advisement center.
  • Successfully pass one of the basic skills tests listed below:
    • ACT
      • Minimum composite score of 21 with
      • Minimum of 20 in English
      • Minimum of 19 in Math
    • SAT
      • Minimum composite score of 1000 with
      • Minimum of 450 in Verbal
      • Minimum of 450 in Math
    • Praxis Core 5751 minimum scores of
      • 156 Reading (subtest #5712)
      • 162 Writing (subtest #5722)
      • 150 Mathematics (subtest #5732)
  • Earned a minimum 3.0 total high school or college GPA (whichever is most recent).
  • Complete and pass the BCI/FBI fingerprint background check.
  • Complete all other pre-teaching major requirements (see specific teaching majors).


To declare a teaching minor, a student must first be accepted into a teaching major program.

  • If a student changes to a non-teaching major, he or she must drop the teaching minor.


BCI/FBI fingerprint background clearance is required for acceptance into a teaching major.

  • Students must obtain a BCI/FBI fingerprint background clearance to apply for a teaching major.
  • The fingerprint background clearance is good for three years and, as needed, must be renewed upon expiration.
  • A BCI/FBI fingerprint background clearance must be maintained throughout the teaching program.
  • A current BCI/FBI background clearance is required for graduation and licensure.

Please go to for further instructions.


To be eligible for graduation and licensure, students are required to pass the Praxis ll test designed for their teaching major and teaching minor(s).

  • A student who does not obtain a passing score on the Praxis ll test associated with his or her teaching major must change to a non-teaching major.
  • A student who does not obtain a passing score on the Praxis II test for his or her teaching minor must drop the minor.

Please go to for more Praxis II information and a complete list of approved Praxis II tests for the State of Utah.


Students declaring a language teaching major or minor or a Dual-Language Immersion (DLI) minor must receive the required rating on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) as part of their graduation and licensing requirements.

  • Students with a language teaching major who do not receive the required rating on the OPI must change to a non-teaching major.
  • Students with a language teaching minor or a DLI minor who do not obtain the required rating on the OPI must drop the minor.

Please go to to view the OPI rating required for the different majors and minors.


Speaking English clearly is an important skill for communicating with students, parents, administrators, and colleagues.

  • Any student whose first language is not English must pass an oral-English-speaking screening prior to beginning any teaching major or teaching minor (see individual major/minor department for additional information).
  • Students wishing to appeal a non-passing score must take the English OPI to demonstrate competency in speaking English. A rating of advanced low or higher is required on the OPI to begin any teaching major or teaching minor. (Please see the above OPI information.)


BYU adheres to Utah Board Rule admissions and retention requirements (Jul. 1, 2017; R277-502: for teaching majors and teaching minors.

  • Grades must be a C or higher in all courses in the teaching major and teaching minor.
  • Students must have a total GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply for and graduate in a teaching major.


Students must participate in a capstone experience of a semester-long student teaching experience or a year-long teaching internship. Teacher candidates must student teach in their teaching major and teaching minor(s).

For a comprehensive guide, please see our Policy Handbook.


Students in a teaching major must complete all program requirements, including student teaching or internships, in order to graduate and be licensed.


Please go to for additional information on going through the licensure process and obtaining a teaching license.

Although the Education Advisement Center makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information found on this website, we reserve the right to make changes at any time. Students should regularly consult with their department, their college advisement center, the university catalog, and the Education Advisement Center for updates and changes.

Page updated 10/22/2019