Last month, Jeff Long from University Police trained McKay faculty and staff on what to do in an active shooter situation. While sobering to think about, it is important to be prepared. Here is a quick recap of some of the advice he shared.
Preparing for an Active Shooter Situation:
- Acknowledge that an active shooting could happen in your workplace
- Make the decision to survive now
- Develop a plan with your coworkers for reaction and safety
- Be proactive and observant
In Case of an Active Shooter Situation:
- Stay calm—focus on steady breathing
- RUN—if you are close to an exit
- HIDE—if you cannot exit safely immediately
- Seek cover, turn off lights, barricade any doors, and silence phones
- FIGHT BACK—if running and hiding are not an option
- Anything can be a weapon
- Physical aggression is key
- Attempt to incapacitate
Photo courtesy of McKay Creative.