October 05, 2018
Students walking to class.
Students hanging out on campus.
Students laughing in Humanities class.
- President of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson (1985–1994), Howard W. Hunter (1994–1995), and Gordon B. Hinckley (1995–2008)
- President of BYU: Rex E. Lee and Merrill J. Bateman
- President of USA: George H. W. Bush (1989–1993) and Bill Clinton (1993–2001)
- Major Events:
- 1990 Hubble Telescope launched into space
- 1991 Collapse of the Soviet Union
- 1994 Rwandan Genocide
- 1997 Princess Diana dies in car cash
- 1997 Titanic comes out
My BYU Memories
- Being turned away from a Frosh dance in the WILK ballroom because my shorts weren't long enough, feeling astonished since they were about 1/8 inch too short and I just hadnt pulled them down like all the others around me.
- Spending time watching TV in the Education LRC.
- Buying sandwiches from the vending machines in the McKay Building. Finding the goldmine of a restroom on the second floor of the McKay Building.
- So few men in the building meant it was pretty much professors and me using that restroom and usually meant a copy of USA Today was there as well.
- Foolishly thinking that my 3.8ish GPA in a spring term would get me on the Deans List.
- Making it through three years of the elementary education program with no dates in the program.
- Childrens literature course in a spring term was murder on my time but probably my favorite elementary education class.
- Producing a video in the education lab for my instructional technology class.
- Vacuuming hair from the backseat of my car weekly during student teaching. Provo to Midvale daily seemed to mean it was okay to do hair in the car.
- Graduating and not finding a teaching position in at least 20 interviews. Very frustrating but it turns out to have been a huge blessing to me. My degree led me to my current tech career. I look back fondly on my time at BYU and hope I can someday teach.