take care of a bear
Read and write words with the r-controlled, long a patterns -ear and -are.
- Sentence strips
- Bear graphic
- Pear graphic
- Clothing graphics
- Care for a Bear target text
- What Can My Bear Wear? target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will take care of a bear and give him something to wear and then read and write words spelled with -ear (e.g., bear, wear, pear, tear) and -are (e.g., care, share, spare).
Rare for a bear
- Ask the children if bears usually . . .
- wear shoes or go barefoot.
- wear clothes or go bare.
- give them a scare.
- Comment that it is rare for a bear to wear clothes.
Help a bear decide what to wear
- Read the Care for a Bear target text and have the children act out the text.
Share a pear with bear
- Have the children read the sentence strips and answer "yes" or "no."
- Let the children pretend to share a pear with the bear.
Read target words in texts
- Read the What Can My Bear Wear? target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words spelled with -ear.
Write about the activity using target words
- Let the children write words with the -ear pattern as you say them: bear, tear, wear, pear.
- Let the children write words with the -are pattern as you say them: share, bare, care, dare, spare, square.
- Have the children write about the bear (e.g., “I fixed a tear for a bear. I gave a shirt to a bear to wear.”).
SEEL Target Texts
What Can My Bear Wear?
His pants have a tear.
His hat has a tear.
His sock has a tear.
His shirt has a tear.
My bear has nothing to wear!
I can fix the tear in his pants.
I can fix the tear in his hat.
I can fix the tear in his sock
I can fix the tear in his pear shirt.
Now my bear has clothes to wear!
Care for a Bear
I don’t have to beware—he is a paper bear.
I care for my bear.
I find my bear a shirt to wear.
I find my bear some pants to wear.
I share my spare pear with my bear.
It is fun to care for my bear!
Take Care of a Bear