Mare and Hare
Recognize words that rhyme with mare (e.g., "Do mare and hare rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with mare.").
- Two brown paper sacks
The children will help take care of a mare and a hare as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with mare, such as hare, share, care, and square.
The mare and hare
- Glue mare and hare graphics to paper sacks to make puppets.
- Cut out three squares of paper to use during the story.
- Tell and enact the following story with the paper sack puppets and the square pieces of paper.
|The mare and the hare live on a farm.||Show the mare and the hare paper sack puppets.|
|The hare lives in a square.||Put the hare on his square.|
|The mare lives next to the hare in her own square.||Put the mare on the square next to the hare.|
|The hare likes to scare the mare.||Have children make scared faces.|
|The poor mare!||Have children repeat, "The poor mare."|
|How can we care for the mare so the hare doesn't give her a scare?||Have children respond.|
|Let's move the mare to the other square.||Move the mare onto the square away from the hare's square.|
|Now the hare can't scare the mare.||Have children make happy faces.|
|"Where is the mare?" asks the hare.||Let children respond where the mare is.|
|"I won't scare the mare. We can share a square." says the hare.||Ask children if they think the mare and the hare can share.|
|Now the hare and the mare are sharing the same square.||Put the mare and the hare on the same square.|
|Now the hare takes care of the mare. The hare doesn't scare the mare.||Have children say, "The hare and the mare can care and share!"|
- Read the story to the children again and have the children jump in the air each time they hear a word that rhymes with mare.
Produce words that rhyme with mare
- Remind the children of the words they played with (mare, hare, square, share).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with mare (support as needed).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., mare, hare) and let them decide if the two words rhyme.
- If the words rhyme, have the children put their thumbs up.
- If the words do not rhyme, have the children put their thumbs down.
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., lair, pair; wear, scare; there, cat; rare, flair; tear, share; dare, truck; hair, care).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with mare.
- Mare graphic
- Hare graphic
Activity: Mare and Hare
- Lay out several sheets of paper and hide the mare and hare graphics under two different squares of paper.
- Take turns with your child looking under the different squares to find the mare and hare graphics.
- Each time one of you looks under a square, say a word that rhymes with mare, such as care, tear, lair, bear, or dare.
- When you and your child find the graphics, cheer together, “We found a (mare or hare) under there!”
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Mare and Hare