Associate Teaching Professor
To add this person's contact info to Google, first click the link to download the .csv file. Then sign into contacts.google.com, click on Import Contacts, and upload the .csv file you have downloaded.
Office: 150-E MCKB
I am a native of Provo, UT. Currently I live with my wife and youngest son in Spanish Fork, UT. Professionally, I spent much of my career in the instructional media industry, most recently as the director of digital products for the Deseret Book Company and a media portfolio director for the LDS Church.
I have taught both graduate and undergraduate university students. I have also taught in industry settings, both corporate and non-profit. Topics I have taught include:
Instructional design processes
Integrating technology in the classroom
The history of instructional design
Human-computer interactions, user interface design, and usability practices
But what I really love teaching is design itself. This includes the philosophy of design, case studies of notable designs, the history of design, design culture, the lived experience of designers, and practical design techniques. My experience as a practicing instructional designer helps me effectively mentor students in all of these areas. I also love teaching how to blend instructional design with other creative practices.
• Reflective practice for designers
• Creativity in the instructional design process
• Principles that help instructional designers remain focused on the goals and intents of innovative instructional strategies
• Diffusion of innovations
• Design-based research
• The philosophy and history of instructional design
• The role of narrative in instruction and learning
• Critical thinking about instructional design practices
• Design-driven innovation for instructional design
Best Zone Paper
American Society for Engineering Education
Teaching with Technology Faculty Fellowship
BYU Center for Instructional Design