- McKay School of Education Checklist for Formats and Conventions of Theses and Dissertations This document describes the important writing and formatting requirements of the MSE and BYU Graduate Studies. Each student must submit the completed checklist to the dean's office with their thesis/dissertation for approval.
- MSE Thesis & Dissertation Approval Process This flowchart lays out the various stages of approval your paper will have to pass through once youve submitted it to the deans office.
- Thesis Template This document serves as a model for formatting a journal-ready thesis and includes all formatting required by BYU and APA. Check with your department for specific guidelines.
- Scheduling Your Thesis/Dissertation Defense Meeting This table is an example of the steps you need to take to schedule your final oral exam. Check with your department for specific guidelines.
- Creating and Uploading Your Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) Please see the Graduate Studies website for information and guidelines regarding your ETD. You can watch these video tutorials created by the office of IT for further instruction.
- Headings for Hybrid Theses and Dissertations This document outlines the basic headings and bookmarking standards for the McKay School of Education for journal-ready theses and dissertations.
2017-2018 Graduation Deadlines for the McKay School
(Check with your department for your programs deadlines.)
December graduation deadlines:
Nov. 10: Schedule defense by this day
Nov. 22: Defense has to be held by this day
Dec. 1: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the dean’s office
Dec. 11: ETD upload deadline
Dec. 15: Deadline for ETD approval at grad office
April graduation deadlines:
Mar. 9: Schedule defense by this day
Mar. 23: Defense has to be held by this day
Mar. 30: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the dean’s office
Apr. 9: ETD upload deadline
Apr. 13: Deadline for ETD approval at grad office
June graduation deadlines:
May 18: Schedule defense by this day
Jun. 1: Defense has to be held by this day
Jun. 8: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the dean’s office
Jun 18: ETD upload deadline
Jun. 21: Deadline for ETD approval at grad office
August graduation deadlines:
Jun. 29: Schedule defense by this day
July 13: Defense has to be held by this day
July 20: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the dean’s office
July 30: ETD upload deadline
August 3: Deadline for ETD approval at grad office
APA for Novices: A Struggling Student's Guide to Theses, Dissertations, and Advanced Course Papers by Sharon Black (2016)
The following text can be downloaded and used as a guide. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you look over this before you begin the writing process. It has been updated to reflect APA 6th Edition Guidelines. You can also download the full text here.
APA for Novices
|Table of Contents|
|Chapter 1: Hoops and Barriers: Things That Shouldn't Matter, But Do|
|Chapter 2: Crafts and Puzzles: Bringing All Parts into Place|
|Chapter 3: The Papers Trail: Controlling Your Reference Base|
|Chapter 4: The Fine Art of Sentencing: Who Did What?—and How?|
|Chapter 5: Hurdles: Avoiding Clashes and Crashes|
|Chapter 6: Small Stressors: Common Grammar and Usage Errors|
The following individuals can be hired to support students in the formatting and writing process. It is not mandatory to hire an editor. Average prices range from $15–20 per hour ($1–3 per page equivalent). Inclusion in this list does not constitute an endorsement by the McKay School of Education.
|Margaret Zerklefirstname.lastname@example.org||(801) 766-5147|
|Olivia Swensonemail@example.com||(412) 438-3889|
|Dustin Schwangerfirstname.lastname@example.org||(419) 271-0204|
|Kayla Swanemail@example.com||(832) 928-5960|