- Thesis Template: This document serves as a model for formatting a journal-ready thesis and includes all formatting required by BYU and the American Psychological Association. Check with your department for specific guidelines.
- McKay School of Education Checklist for Formats and Conventions of Theses and Dissertations: This document describes the important writing and formatting requirements of the MSE and BYU Graduate Studies. Students must submit this completed checklist (electronic or paper) to the MSE dean's office with their thesis/dissertation for approval.
- Scheduling Your Thesis/Dissertation Defense Meeting: This table is an example of the steps you need to take to schedule your final oral exam. Check with your department for specific guidelines.
- MSE Thesis & Dissertation Approval Process: This flowchart lays out the various stages of approval your paper will have to pass through once you have submitted it to the MSE dean's office.
- Headings and Bookmarks for Theses and Dissertations: This document outlines the basic headings and bookmarking standards for the McKay School of Education for both traditional 5-chapter as well as journal-ready (hybrid) theses and dissertations.
- Creating and Uploading Your Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD): Please see the Graduate Studies website for information and guidelines regarding your ETD. You can watch these video tutorials created by the Office of IT for further instruction.
2018-2019 Graduation Deadlines for the McKay School:
(Check with your department for your program's deadlines.)
December graduation deadlines:
Nov. 6: Schedule defense by this day
Nov. 20: Defense has to be held by this day
Nov. 30: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the MSE dean’s office
Dec. 10: ETD upload deadline
Dec. 14: Deadline for ETD approval at the Graduate Studies office
April graduation deadlines:
Mar. 8: Schedule defense by this day
Mar. 22: Defense has to be held by this day
Mar. 29: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the MSE dean’s office
Apr. 8: ETD upload deadline
Apr. 12: Deadline for ETD approval at the Graduate Studies office
June graduation deadlines:
May 17: Schedule defense by this day
May 31: Defense has to be held by this day
Jun. 7: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the MSE dean’s office
Jun. 17: ETD upload deadline
Jun. 20: Deadline for ETD approval at the Graduate Studies office
August graduation deadlines:
July 5: Schedule defense by this day
July 19: Defense has to be held by this day
July 26: Deadline to submit the electronic MS Word version to the MSE dean’s office
Aug. 5: ETD upload deadline
Aug. 9: Deadline for ETD approval at the Graduate Studies office
APA for Novices: A Struggling Student's Guide to Theses, Dissertations, and Advanced Course Papers by Sharon Black (2016):
The following text can be downloaded and used as a guide. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you study this information carefully as you begin your writing process. It has been updated to reflect APA 6th Edition Guidelines. You can also download the full text here.
APA for Novices
|Table of Contents|
|Chapter 1: Hoops and Barriers: Things That Shouldn't Matter, But Do|
|Chapter 2: Crafts and Puzzles: Bringing All Parts into Place|
|Chapter 3: The Papers Trail: Controlling Your Reference Base|
|Chapter 4: The Fine Art of Sentencing: Who Did What?—and How?|
|Chapter 5: Hurdles: Avoiding Clashes and Crashes|
|Chapter 6: Small Stressors: Common Grammar and Usage Errors|
The following individuals can be hired to support students in the formatting and writing process. It is not mandatory to hire an editor. Average prices range from $15–20 per hour ($1–3 per page equivalent). Inclusion in this list does not constitute an endorsement by the McKay School of Education.
|Margaret Zerkleemail@example.com||(801) 766-5147|
|Olivia Swensonfirstname.lastname@example.org||(412) 438-3889|
|Dustin Schwangeremail@example.com||(419) 271-0204|
|Kayla Swanfirstname.lastname@example.org||(832) 928-5960|
|Stirling Miller (MS Word & ETD)||Smm.email@example.com