A Packet to Make a Rocket
- Toilet paper roll
- Triangular pieces of cardstock
- Semicircle piece of paper
- Bucket or picture of a bucket*
- Basket or picture of a basket*
- Blanket or picture of a blanket*
- Make a Rocket target text*
- Let a Rocket Take off target text*
*Items included below.
State the Objective
Tell the children that they will make a rocket and that they will read and write two-syllable words that end with et, such as rocket, packet, bucket, racket, ticket, and blanket.
Introduce target words
- Display -et target words (e.g., rocket, packet, bucket, racket, ticket, blanket).
- Read the words with the children.
Make a rocket
- Read the Make a Rocket target text (see below) with the children.
- Have the children make a rocket.
- Tape a semicircle piece of paper to make a cone shape.
- Tape the cone to the top of a toilet paper roll.
- Tape cardstock triangles to the bottom of the toilet paper roll to create fins.
- Read the Let a Rocket Take off target text (see below) with the children.
- Let the children toss their rockets into/onto the items or pictures of items (see below) listed in the text.
Recognize the -et ending
- Have the children read the Make a Rocket target text (see below) and underline words with the -et ending.
- Repeat using the Let a Rocket Take off target text (see below).
Write target words
- Have the children fill in the blanks with -et target words.
- We made a ____ (rocket).
- We used a packet to make a ____ (rocket).
- The packet to make a rocket was in my ____ (pocket).
- We tried to get the rocket to land in/on a ____ (bucket/basket/pocket/blanket).
- Have the children write -et words from dictation (e.g., rocket, packet, bucket, racket, ticket, blanket).
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Rocket
Want to make a rocket?
I got a packet from a pocket in my jacket.
In the packet, we have things to make a rocket.
Make a cone for the nose of the rocket.
Tape the nose on the rocket.
Tape fins on the rocket.
We made a rocket from the things in the packet!
Now our rocket can take off.
Let a Rocket Take off
Make a rocket take off.
A rocket can make a racket when it takes off.
See where the rocket will land.
Can you get the rocket to land in a bucket?
Can you get it to land in a basket?
Can you get it to land in your pocket?
Let the rocket land on a soft blanket.
Want to see a rocket take off?
You may need a ticket to watch the rocket take off.
You can sit on a blanket and watch the rocket take off.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
A Packet to Make a Rocket