Grow Green Grass
Read, write, and identify words beginning with the /gr/ blend.
- Empty egg cartons (cut into thirds) – 1 for each child
- Grass seeds
- Green grass that has already grown in little pots or cups
- Water (preferably in a spray bottle)
- Dirt (in a bowl)
- Plastic spoons
- Old newspapers
- Word cards of /gr/ and non-/gr/ blends
- Aprons – 1 for each child
- Green Grass Log – 1 for each child
Tell the children that today they're going to grow some green grass as they listen for the /gr/ blend at the beginning of words.
Grow green grass
(Note: This doubles as a science experiment.)
- Show the children the grass seeds and the green grass that is already grown. Say, “Isn’t it great how I got this green grass to grow? It started as grass seeds and now it is green grass!”
- After each child puts an apron on, give each child one of the empty egg cartons.
- Each child will use a spoon to put some dirt in each of his or her empty spaces. You may want to point out that the egg cartons make a grid.
- Have the children grab some grass seeds to put into the dirt. Ask them to grab just a few, not a handful.
- Instruct the children to press the seeds into the dirt.
- Give each child a turn to spray water onto his or her seeds.
- Comment on how the seeds will grow gradually (or a little at a time).
- Place the egg cartons in a sunny location (such as near a window) or let the children take their cartons home at the end of the day. Have the children observe how their green grass grows.
Read target words
- Lay out the word cards and have the children pick out the words that begin with the /gr/ blend.
- Read through the /gr/ words together.
Write about the activity
- Give each child a Green Grass Log.
- Help the children fill it out each week as they measure how tall their grass has grown.
- Instruct the children to use complete sentences when filling out the log, and to use as many /gr/ words as possible.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.2.B: Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds (phonemes), including consonant blends.
Grow Green Grass