Rent a Tent
- Old sheet with a slit to make a vent
- Envelope or box labeled "From: Kent"
- Word cards*
- Rent a Tent sign*
- Word blending cards*
- A Cent to Rent a Tent target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will spend a cent to rent a tent and that they will read and write words that end in /nt/, such as tent, rent, and sent.
Set up a tent with a vent
- Tell the children that a friend named Kent sent a tent and exclaim, "A tent! Kent sent a tent. I present you with the tent!"
- Present the tent (sheet with a slit to be a vent) labeled "From: Kent."
- Help the children set up the tent and point out the vent or vents.
- Explain that a vent is an opening that lets air come in and out.
- Show the word cards (found below) to the children and read them together.
- Let the children pretend to be Kent and put the words that end in /nt/ through the vent in the tent.
Rent time in a tent for a cent
- Read the Rent a Tent sign with the children.
- Explain that rent means to pay money to be able to use something.
- Tell the children that they will pay one cent to rent time in the tent and read the words that Kent sent through the vent.
- Pass out pennies and let the children take turns renting the tent and reading an -nt word that Kent sent through the vent.
- Make comments such as the following:
- Bend down to get into the tent.
- You went in the tent!
- You got to rent the tent for a cent.
- You spent a cent to rent the tent.
Identify, blend and manipulate sounds
- With word blending cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the vowel or the beginning consonant:
- tent --> cent; bent --> dent; rent --> went; sent --> vent; cent --> spent
- tent --> tint; rent --> rant --> runt
Read target words in a text
- Read the target text A Cent to Rent a Tent (found below) with the children.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the words that end in –nt.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns.
- Have the children write words from dictation: tent, rent, cent, sent, vent, spent, went, bent, dent.
- Ask the children to write about renting a tent (e.g., "I spent a cent to..." (rent a tent, send a note through the vent)).
- Engage the children in interactive writing about their experience.
- Kent _____ (sent) a box with a _____ (tent).
- We _____ (sent) words through a _____ (vent) in the _____ (tent).
- We got to _____ (rent) the _____ (tent) for a _____ (cent).
- We spent (a cent) to (rent the tent).
- We got to read the words that (Kent) sent through the (vent).
- I spent a cent to... (rent a tent, read a word from Kent).
- We bent down... (to get in the tent).
SEEL Target Texts
A Cent to Rent a Tent
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Rent a Tent