- Plastic Easter eggs (assorted colors)
- Basket or container
- Word cards*
- Word-building cards*
- Egg puzzle pieces*
- Catch and Match target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they will catch and match eggs and read and write words that end in -tch, such as fetch, catch, batch, match, patch, and hatch.
Let eggs hatch
- Display a list of words ending in tch and read them with the children (e.g., catch, batch, match, patch, hatch, snatch, fetch, scratch, itch, clutch, switch, sketch, pitch).
- Put -tch words inside plastic eggs and allow the children to hatch the eggs and read the words.
Fetch, pitch, catch, and match a batch of eggs
- Set up an assembly line and designate children to engage in the following:
- Fetch an egg.
- Snatch it from the batch.
- Pitch the egg and have another child catch the egg.
- Hatch the egg to find a word that ends in tch.
- Match eggs of the same color.
- Build words
- Have children try out different beginning consonants or consonant clusters (ma-, ca-, sna-, pi-, ba-, ha-, la-, fe-, ske-, scra-, clu-, swi-) with the tch ending.
- Have the children write the words and place them in eggs.
- Let the children hatch the batch of eggs and read the words inside.
Patch -tch words
- Let the children cut the egg pieces (found below) into two parts.
- Mix up the egg puzzle pieces.
- Match the pieces and then patch them together.
- Invite the children to read the words created by matching the eggs.
Make new words
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing the vowel or the beginning consonant:
- catch→ batch; batch→ patch; hatch→ match
- patch→ pitch; hatch→ hitch; snatch→ snitch
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the Catch and Match target text with you (found below).
- Have the children make a list of the -tch words from the text.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Let the children write words from dictation: catch, batch, match, patch, snatch, hatch.
- Have the children write or complete sentences that incorporate the -tch words:
- Eggs ______ (hatch) from a ______ (batch) of eggs.
- We can _____ (snatch) and _____ (catch) eggs.
- We can _____ (match) the _____ (batch) of eggs.
- We can write words like _____ (batch, catch, match) and _____ (latch, patch).
SEEL Target Texts
Catch and Match
- Fetch a batch of eggs.
- Snatch an egg from the batch.
- Write words like catch, batch, snatch, fetch, or pitch.
- Put a word in an egg.
- Pitch the egg and let a friend catch the egg.
- Let the friend match words—match catch with catch and batch with batch...
- Put words that match in an egg.
- What will hatch from the batch?
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
Catch and Match the Eggs