clang bang ding dong
Read and write words ending in the -ng digraph.
- Metal rings (can be metal washer rings)
- Metal objects (e.g. pots, pans, tins, spoons, etc.)
- Pen or something to hit the rings
- A metal lid for a gong
- Bells (optional)
- A container to hold all the above items
- Ding Ding Dong Song (see below) sung to the tune of Frere’ Jacques
- How to Make Music with Rings target text (see below)
- Word blending cards(see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will make musical sounds like clang, bang, ding, and dong and read and write words that end in –ng, such as clang, bang, ding, ping, dong, and song.
Practice the skill within an activity
Bring things that go ding or ring.
- Write the words ring, ding, and song on the board, point out that all three words end with -ng, and invite the children
- Let the children bring you items to ring and ding.
- Give the children instructions such as the following:
- Bring me a ring on a string.
- Bring me a thing that you can ring.
- Bring me a string, bring a ring on a string (or some rings on a string).
- Bring me a thing that goes ding.
Compose a song using musical –ng words and create an orchestra to play the song.
- Write the words bong, ring, clang, ding-dong, ping, ting, and ding-a-ling on the board.
- Have the children help you decide what order to put the words in from left to right.
- Give children assignments for musical parts:
- Bong the gong (hit a lid with a metal butter knife)
- Ring bells
- Clang spoons
- Sing ding-dong while bending knees up and down
- Ping and ting metal rings
- Tap a tin can with a pen and say ding-a-ling
- Arrange children in a line according to musical part in order from left to right (in the order the song is written on the board).
- Assign one child to model reading the –ng words with those not playing ‘instruments’.
- Have children with ‘instruments’ play their musical part in the song.
- Let the children switch roles and/or rearrange the words on the board to create a new song to play.
- Vary the dynamics and tempo of the song.
- Write loud noises in big print and soft noises in small print.
- Place words close together for a fast song, or spaced far apart for a slow song
- Ding, ding dong
- TING TING TING TING
- Bang bang CLANG
Sing a Ding-Ding-Dong song.
- Sing a song to the tune of Frere’ Jacques (Are You Sleeping?).
- See song lyrics in the text below.
Explore rhythm and tempo using –ng words
- Play a “call-and-response” echo game.
- Have children sit in a ring (circle) with the teacher in the middle.
- Clap, tap, or stomp rhythm of –ng words while saying them one at a time and have children echo the pattern; ting-a-ling, ping-pong, gong, sing-song, clang, bang, ding-dong.
- Vary the tempo, pitch, and loudness:
- ting-a-ling in a high-pitched voice while tapping fingers quietly.
- gong said in a slow, lower-pitched voice while stomping.
- ding-dong sung on two musical pitches while clapping, etc..
- Give each child a turn to be the leader in the middle of the ring.
Apply the skill (Choose from the activities below)
Read target words in texts (see below).
- Engage the children in reading the text How to Make Music with Rings together as a class/group.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Ask the children to listen for –ing words as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the –ing words that they heard.
- Blend and analyze words by making a flipbook on string:
- Cut out the letter cards (see below) and punch holes at the tops of the cards.
- Stack the cards into a pile of beginning sounds and ending sounds then staple the stacks together.
- String beginning and ending sounds flipbooks on a string then flip through combinations of beginning and ending sounds in the books to make words:
- ring, sing, ding, ting, ping
- bang, clang, sang
- dong, bong, song, long
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Make a list of musical words that end in -ng: sing, ding, ring, dong, bong, song, clang, bang, sang.
SEEL Target Texts
Ding, Ding, Dong Song
Slide a ring
On a string
Hear it ping
Hear it ting
Ping-a-ling and sing
Ting-a-ling and ring
Ding, ding, dong
Ding, ding, dong
How to Make Music with Rings
Swing the string.
The rings will make musical sounds.
The rings will go ping, ting, ding.
The rings will go ding-a-ling.
The rings will go ting-a-ling.
Hit the rings with a pen.
You can make the rings ding, ting and ping.
A ring on a string can make music!
Clang Bang Ding Dong