Make a Ring with String
- String to make a ring on the floor
- Rubber bands
- Springs made from old notebooks’ spiral binding cut into pieces, cardboard rings made from cutting a toilet paper roll, rubber bands, and/or pieces of string to make little rings
- Flinging instructions with pictures*
- Word cards*
- Ring of String song sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb*
- Fling a Thing into a Ring target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will fling things into a ring made of string and read and write words that end with -ing, such as fling, thing, string, swing, and ring.
Sing and build a ring
- Teach the children the Ring of String song (found below) to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb.
- Help the children form some string into a ring (circle) on the floor.
- Have the children write Ring of String signs and place their paper signs in the ring.
- Show the things to the children and demonstrate how to softly fling a thing into the ring of string.
- Invite the children to swing and fling a thing into the ring as they sing the Ring of String song.
Fling -ng words into the ring
- Read the word cards (found below) with the children.
- Invite the children to choose a word card and have them read the word on the card.
- Let the children swing and fling the -ing words into the ring of string.
Fling things into a ring of string
- Have the children put rubber bands, springs, little rings made of string, or cardboard rings on a cut rubber band (see picture 1 below).
- Pull each end of the cut rubber band between your hands so it is taut (see picture 2 below).
- Lower one hand to aim, then release the rubber band from your upper hand to fling the thing (see picture 3 below).
- Fling the springs, bands, or rings into the ring of string.
- Let the children try to fling things on cut rubber bands into the ring.
Read target words in texts
- Read the target text Fling a Thing into a Ring (found below) to and then with the children.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat the supported reading process with Ring of String (found below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Introduce a word wall displaying target words from the lesson (e.g., fling, string, swing, ring, thing, bring, sing)
- Have the children express ideas using -ng words (e.g., “I like to fling a thing into a ring of string”).
SEEL Target Texts
Ring of String (*Sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb)
Ring of string,
Ring of string.
Form a string into a ring.
Then swing and fling a thing!
Fling a Thing into a Ring
Did you bring some string?
Bring the string.
Make the string into a ring.
Fling and sling things into the ring.
Get a thing to fling into the ring.
Get a thing and bring it to the ring made out of string.
We’ll fling or sling things into the ring.
Did you fling your thing into the ring?
Make a Ring with String