Drumming and Strumming
- Container as a drum
- Container with rubber bands as a guitar
- Metal lids or metal objects
- Pretend jewelry or shiny fabric
- Word-building cards*
- Jamming while Strumming and Drumming text*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will be humming and drumming and strumming instruments while they read and write words with the double mm, such as whamming, slamming, hummed, drummed, and strummed.
Pretend to jam by humming, drumming, and strumming
- Explain that sometimes the word jam means to create music together.
- Tell the children they will be jamming together by humming and drumming and strumming instruments.
- Assign the children to be either hummers, drummers, or strummers and hold up the signs (found below) to signal which groups should jam.
- Remind the children that while they are crammed together, they should not be ramming and slamming into each other.
Read words with mm
- Write words with the double mm combination on the board (e.g., humming, cramming, drumming, slamming, whamming, jamming, glimmer, shimmer, drummer, hummer, strummer, slammed, jammed, crammed, hummed, drummed, strummed).
- Ask the children to read the words on the board.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning letter(s) or the ending letters:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): jamming→ slamming, drumming→ humming, swimming→ skimming
- Change the ending consonant(s): humming→ hummed, shimmering→ shimmered, drumming→ drummer
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the Jamming while Strumming and Drumming target text (found below) as a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children circle the mm in the middle of words.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Have children write words from dictation (e.g., drumming, strumming, cramming, shimmering, glimmering, crammed, jammed).
- Engage the children in interactive writing about jamming, humming, drumming, strumming.
- Present sentence frames or questions to prompt written responses.
- I like ____ (humming, drumming, strumming).
- We jammed to make music, and I ____ (hummed, strummed, drummed).
- We ____ (crammed) together and ____ (jammed) to make music.
SEEL Target Texts
Jamming while Strumming and Drumming
When we are jamming…
the hummers are humming,
the strummers are strumming,
and the drummers are drumming.
We all love to be crammed on the stage, jamming under the glimmering, shimmering lights.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Drumming and Strumming