- ai word cards
- ai picture/word cards or items
- Walk Along a Trail target text – 1 for each child
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that today they get to walk along an ai trail and read and write words spelled with the ai combination.
Walk along the trail
- Set up an ai trail either outside or in your classroom (any type of path), and place items, word cards, and pictures along the trail.
- Tell the children that you need their help to find items, pictures, and word cards along the ai trail. Explain that if they find something spelled with the ai letter combination, that they can put it in your pail.
- Walk along the ai trail with the children, finding items, pictures, and word cards as you go.
- As a group, decide if the items, pictures, and word cards on the trail have the ai vowel pattern. If the word has ai in it, the children will put it in the pail. If it does not, the children should leave it on the trail.
Read target words/patterns introduced in the activity
- Read the Walk Along a Trail target text to the children, pointing out the ai words.
- Give each child their own copy of the text. Instruct the children to find and underline each ai word in the text.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Have the children make a list of the ai words they found along the trail.
- Ask the children to write sentences using the ai words they wrote down.
SEEL Target Texts
Walk Along a Trail
Fill up your pail.
Find a nail for the pail.
Can a snail go in the pail?
How about some mail?
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.