Did a Butterfly Fly By?
- Pictures of a butterfly, dragonfly, fly, bird, and penguin*
- Action cards*
- Word-building cards*
- I Spy a Butterfly target text*
- Did a Butterfly Fly By? target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to spy a butterfly fly by and then read and write words with the long i sound spelled with a y, such as fly, spy, try, why, cry, sky, my, and why.
Spy a butterfly fly by
- Pretend to be outside looking at the sky.
- Hold up the pictures of a butterfly, dragonfly, fly, bird, and penguin (all found below) one at a time.
- Let the children decide if each animal can fly.
- Have the children write “It can fly in the sky” or “It can not fly in the sky” for each picture.
- Make comments to emphasize words with the long i sound spelled with a y:
- I know why a penguin can’t fly.
- I spy a dragonfly.
- Oh my! I spy a butterfly in the sky.
Spy action cards in the sky
- Show children the action cards (found below) and hold them up to the sky.
- Have the children read the sentence on each card and perform the action.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children change the beginning consonant(s) or the ending of a word to form a new word:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): fly→ try, my→ by, spy→ why, cry→ sky
- Change the ending to -ies: fly→ flies, try→ tries, spy→ spies, fry→ fries
- Change the ending to -ied: try→ tried, spy→ spied, fry→ fried
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the target text I Spy a Butterfly (found below) as a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the long i sound spelled with y.
- Repeat with Did a Butterfly Fly By?
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Let the children write about the things they can spy in the sky or animals that can fly or try to fly.
- Have them use some of these words: butterfly, dragonfly, spy, fly, by, sky, and try.
SEEL Target Texts
Did a Butterfly fly by?
Did you see a dragonfly fly by?
Did you see a bird fly by?
I saw a butterfly fly by.
I saw a dragonfly fly by.
But I did NOT see a penguin fly by.
Do you want to know why?
Because penguins can’t fly.
I wonder why.
I Spy a Butterfly
I spy a butterfly in the sky.
Do you see a dragonfly?
I spy a dragonfly in the sky.
Have you seen a bird fly?
I spy a bird in the sky.
Have you seen a penguin fly?
I have never seen a penguin fly!
But I would like to watch one try.
And I want to know why a penguin can’t fly.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Did a Butterfly Fly By?