Park Your Car
- Masking tape, chalk, or a picture of a parking lot*
- Drawings or pictures of stars*
- Two sets of the -ar words*
- Directions on sentence strips*
- Toy cars or pictures of cars*
- Park sign*
- I Park My Car target text*
- Start the Race at the Starting Mark target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will park cars and then read and write words with
-ar, such as barn, star, arm, and smart.
Put -ar words in parking spaces
- Make a parking lot with masking tape or chalk (example below) that has spaces that can fit -ar word cards.
- Place the Park sign (found below) by the parking lot.
- Place one set (eight words) of -ar words (found below) in a jar.
- Let the children pick words from the jar, read the words, and place them in parking spaces.
Park cars on -ar words in a parking lot
- Place the second set of -ar words in the jar and let the children pick words out.
- Let the children park the cars (toys or pictures found below) in the parking space that matches the word that they picked.
- Ask the children to explain where they parked (e.g., “I parked on the word star.”).
- Place stars to mark some parking spaces and have the children read the words marked by stars.
Follow directions that deal with cars, stars, and marks
- Using the picture of the parking lot, have the children follow the directions on the sentence strips (found below).
Park at a snack bar
- Read the I Park My Car target text (found below) with the children.
- Pretend to drive a car to a snack bar, a park, and a farm and park in a backyard or a parking lot.
- Show the children that the word backyard is made up of the back and yard.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the I Park My Car target text with you.
- Have the children make a list of the words spelled with -ar.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the Start the Race at the Starting Mark target text (found below).
Write about the activity using target words
- Let the children write words from dictation (e.g., car, jar, start, farm, barn, park, star, barn, dart, far, card, hard, arm, smart).
- Display the -ar words and have children incorporate them into sentences about how they got to park and drive cars (e.g., “I can drive to the park. I parked the car far away.”).
SEEL Target Texts
I Park My Car
Start the Race at the Starting Mark
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Park Your Car