part of a cart
Part of a Cart
- Go-cart graphic
- -art sign
- Word-building cards
- A Cart That Won't Start target text
- Words Have Parts target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to be part of a cart and then will read and write words that end with -art, such as part, chart, dart, and mart.
Make a wheel with parts
- Show the children a picture of a go-cart and point out that a wheel is a part of a go-cart, and that part and go-cart both end with -art.
- Let the children make a go-cart wheel by standing in a circle and stretching one arm toward the middle to make the spokes.
- Comment that each child is a part of the go-cart wheel.
Fix a cart that won't start
- Read the A Cart Won't Start target text to the children.
- Have the children act out the story.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the A Cart Won’t Start target text with you.
- Have the children make a list of the -art words in the text.
- Invite the children to read the text again, fading support.
Build -art words from parts
- Read the Words Have Parts target text to the children and show how you can build words with the word-building cards and the -art sign.
- Have the children read the text as they build the words in the text using the word-building cards and the -art sign.
Write about the activity using target words
- Have the children write words as you say them: tart, cart, part, chart, dart, mart, smart, and start.
- Ask the children to write about the go-cart that won’t start (e.g., “My go-cart did not start. I got a part for the go-cart. The part made the go-cart start.”).
SEEL Target Texts
Words Have Parts
art is part of the word part.
art is a part of the word chart.
art is a part of the word smart.
art is part of the word start.
d is part of the word dart.
c is part of the word cart.
Words have parts.
A Cart That Won't Start
But my go-cart won’t start.
I walked to WalMart® to buy a part for my go-cart.
I put the part in my go-cart to make it start.
I drove my go-cart back to WalMart to buy Pop-Tarts®.
Now I’m happy that my go-cart starts!
And I got some Pop-Tarts!
* WalMart® and Pop-Tarts® are registered trademarks.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Part of a Cart