take care of a bear
Take Care of a Bear
- Sentence strips
- Bear graphic
- Pear graphic
- Clothing graphics
- Care for a Bear target text
- What Can My Bear Wear? target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will take care of a bear and give him something to wear and then read and write words spelled with -ear (e.g., bear, wear, pear, tear) and -are (e.g., care, share, spare).
Rare for a bear
- Ask the children if bears usually . . .
- wear shoes or go barefoot.
- wear clothes or go bare.
- give them a scare.
- Comment that it is rare for a bear to wear clothes.
Help a bear decide what to wear
- Read the Care for a Bear target text and have the children act out the text.
Share a pear with bear
- Have the children read the sentence strips and answer "yes" or "no."
- Let the children pretend to share a pear with the bear.
Read target words in texts
- Read the What Can My Bear Wear? target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words spelled with -ear.
Write about the activity using target words
- Let the children write words with the -ear pattern as you say them: bear, tear, wear, pear.
- Let the children write words with the -are pattern as you say them: share, bare, care, dare, spare, square.
- Have the children write about the bear (e.g., “I fixed a tear for a bear. I gave a shirt to a bear to wear.”).
SEEL Target Texts
What Can My Bear Wear?
His pants have a tear.
His hat has a tear.
His sock has a tear.
His shirt has a tear.
My bear has nothing to wear!
I can fix the tear in his pants.
I can fix the tear in his hat.
I can fix the tear in his sock
I can fix the tear in his pear shirt.
Now my bear has clothes to wear!
Care for a Bear
I don’t have to beware—he is a paper bear.
I care for my bear.
I find my bear a shirt to wear.
I find my bear some pants to wear.
I share my spare pear with my bear.
It is fun to care for my bear!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Take Care of a Bear