boil or broil
Boil or Broil
- Pictures of vegetables*
- Word-building cards*
- Word cards*
- Make a Choice to Boil or Broil target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will make a choice to boil or broil vegetables and will read and write words containing the
-oi pattern, such as boil, broil, foil, spoil, soil, and choice.
Pull vegetables from the soil before they spoil
- Place the pictures of the vegetables (found below) in a pretend garden.
- Tell the children that they will pull vegetables to use from the soil so that they don’t spoil.
- Pretend to wash soil off the vegetables.
Have the children write the words soil and spoil and emphasize that they both have the -oi vowel combination.
Make a choice to boil or broil vegetables
- Write choice on the board and point out that the word choice has the -oi vowel pattern.
- Explain that the -ce spelling at the end of choice makes the /s/ sound.
- Invite the children to make a choice to boil or broil the vegetables that came from the soil. The children will either . . .
- Write boil and say, “My choice is to boil”.
- Write broil and say, “My choice is to broil.”
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing either the beginning or ending consonant(s):
- Change the beginning consonant(s): soil→ spoil; boil→ broil; foil→ coil
- Change the ending consonant: coil→ coin
Read target words in texts
- Read the Make a Choice to Boil or Broil target text (found below) to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Ask the children to listen for -oi words as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the -oi vowel pattern in the text.
Write about the activity using target words
- Pass out a word card (found below) to each child.
- Invite them to write a sentence using the target word on the word card (help as needed).
- Have the children take turns sharing their sentences
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Choice to Boil or Broil
We did not want the vegetables to spoil.
We washed the soil off the vegetables.
We made a choice to boil or broil the vegetables.
We liked making choices to boil or broil food!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Boil or Broil