Park Your Car
Read and write words with the r-controlled vowel spelling -ar.
- Masking tape, chalk, or a picture of a parking lot*
- Drawings or pictures of stars*
- Two sets of the -ar words*
- Directions on sentence strips*
- Toy cars or pictures of cars*
- Park sign*
- I Park My Car target text*
- Start the Race at the Starting Mark target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will park cars and then read and write words with
-ar, such as barn, star, arm, and smart.
Put -ar words in parking spaces
- Make a parking lot with masking tape or chalk (example below) that has spaces that can fit -ar word cards.
- Place the Park sign (found below) by the parking lot.
- Place one set (eight words) of -ar words (found below) in a jar.
- Let the children pick words from the jar, read the words, and place them in parking spaces.
Park cars on -ar words in a parking lot
- Place the second set of -ar words in the jar and let the children pick words out.
- Let the children park the cars (toys or pictures found below) in the parking space that matches the word that they picked.
- Ask the children to explain where they parked (e.g., “I parked on the word star.”).
- Place stars to mark some parking spaces and have the children read the words marked by stars.
Follow directions that deal with cars, stars, and marks
- Using the picture of the parking lot, have the children follow the directions on the sentence strips (found below).
Park at a snack bar
- Read the I Park My Car target text (found below) with the children.
- Pretend to drive a car to a snack bar, a park, and a farm and park in a backyard or a parking lot.
- Show the children that the word backyard is made up of the back and yard.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the I Park My Car target text with you.
- Have the children make a list of the words spelled with -ar.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the Start the Race at the Starting Mark target text (found below).
Write about the activity using target words
- Let the children write words from dictation (e.g., car, jar, start, farm, barn, park, star, barn, dart, far, card, hard, arm, smart).
- Display the -ar words and have children incorporate them into sentences about how they got to park and drive cars (e.g., “I can drive to the park. I parked the car far away.”).
SEEL Target Texts
I Park My Car
Start the Race at the Starting Mark
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.C: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
Park Your Car