Read and write words with the r-controlled vowel spelling -ar.
- Reusable materials (e.g., cloth, string, yarn, Styrofoam)
- Paper wheels
- Paper steering wheel, handle, or yarn
State and Model the Objective
The children will make an art cart dart around and then read and write words that contain the -ar vowel pattern, such as mart, part, start, and apart.
Get the art cart ready to start
- Tell the children they need to make a cart to deliver art supplies.
- Ask for help putting the parts on the cart (the wheels, the steering wheel parts or yarn to pull the cart).
- Put art supplies in the cart.
- Pretend to start the art cart.
- Tell the children that the cart will dart around to bring them parts to make art with.
Make art from parts in the art cart
- Let the children make art from the reusable-material parts in the art cart.
- Take a part of reusable material from the cart, and glue it to another part to make art.
Read target words in texts
- Read the An Art Cart target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the An Art Cart target text with you.
- List words from the text that have the r-controlled -ar pattern.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the Start Making Art target text.
Write about the activity
- Let the children write words as you say them: art, cart, dart, start, apart, part, mart.
SEEL Target Texts
An Art Cart
I start the cart, and put things in the cart to make art.
You can make art from the things in the cart.
You can glue one part to another part to make art.
Don’t let your art fall apart.
Then you can put your art back in the cart.
I will start the cart and dart to show off your art!
Thanks for taking part!
Start Making Art
You can start making art.
Glue one part to another part.
Don’t let the art fall apart!
Look at your work of art!
What a smart looking piece of art!