Spread Jam on Bread
- read (past tense)
- Red thread
- Real or pretend bread*
- Red spread picture, red paint, or jam*
- Cheese picture*
- Name tags labeled Ted, Fred, and Ned*
- Some Spread on Bread target text*
- Ned, Ted, and Fred target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to be Ned, Ted, and Fred and spread red on bread as they read and write words with the two short e spellings -ea and -e, such as bread, spread, and red.
Let Ned or Fred or Ted spread some spread on bread
- Give Ned, Ted, or Fred name tags (see below) to children.
- Have Ned, Ted, and Fred complete the following actions:
- Cut the bread with red thread (slip thread under the bread, cross over the ends, and pull tight)
- Shred some cheese on bread (cut the picture of cheese)
- Spread red spread on bread (red spread picture, red paint, or jam)
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- Have the children make new words by changing the consonants:
- thread → spread, dread → bread, head → dead, dead → dread
- red → fed, led → fled, Fred → shred, Ned → Ted
Read target words in texts
- Read the target text Some Spread on Bread (see below) together as a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the words with the -ead or -ed ending.
- Repeat with the target text Ned, Ted, and Fred (see below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Have the children write target words from dictation:
- bread, spread, thread, read (past tense), dread, head, dead.
- Engage the children in interactive writing about their experience by having the children fill in target words and phrases.
- "Ted can ___ (shred cheese on bread, spread red spread on bread)."
- "I read how to ___ (cut bread with thread, spread bread with red spread)."
SEEL Target Texts
Ned, Ted, and Fred
Ted read about how to shred cheese on bread.
Fred read how to spread red jam on bread.
Now Ned cuts bread with red thread.
Now Ted shreds cheese on bread.
Now Fred spreads red spread on bread.
Some Spread on Bread
Spread out a cloth.
Spread out the plates.
Spread out the kids.
Cut the bread with some thread.
Spread the bread with some red spread.
Now tie the bread bag up with some thread.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.C: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
Spread Jam on Bread