feed the seed
Read and write words spelled with the long e vowel spelled ee.
- Easy-to-grow seeds (such as beans or grass)
- Homemade plant food (cooled water from boiled vegetables, eggs, or pasta)
- Cups or empty egg cartons
- Picture of a plant*
- Pictures of weeds*
- Feed the Seed target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will feed seeds to help them grow and will read and write words spelled with ee, such as feed, seed, weed, and need.
Feed the seeds
- Show a seed and show a picture of a plant (found below) that a seed can grow into.
- Tell the children that they will work in groups and let seeds grow.
- Show the children the seeds and the word seeds.
- Tell the children that each group will get three seeds for free!
- Give the children three seeds or seeds that have begun to sprout.
- Let the children plant their seeds:
- Give the children a cup and some dirt.
- Have the children put the seeds or sprouts in their cups.
- Ask the children to feed the seeds by sprinkling them with homemade plant food made from the cooled water from boiled vegetables, eggs, or pasta.
- Put a little dirt over the seed.
- Give each seed a little water.
- Put the seeds in a place where they can receive sunlight and be seen.
Get rid of the weeds
- Put the pictures of weeds (found below) in the children’s pots.
- Tell the children that sometimes weeds grow where there are seeds.
- Explain that their plant seeds will not grow a weed.
- Tell the children that they need to get rid of the weeds and not feed weeds.
Read target words introduced in the activity
- Give the children a copy of the target text Feed the Seed (found below).
- Read the text as a class.
- Have the children identify the ee words.
Write about the activity
- Read Feed the Seed again
- Review how to grow a plant (e.g., Plant a seed. Feed the seed. Put the seed in the sun. Pull any weeds).
- Have the children rewrite instructions for how to grow a plant.
SEEL Target Texts
Feed the Seed
Your seed is not a weed seed.
It is a plant seed.
You need to feed your seed.
You need to water your seed.
You need to put the pot with the seed in the sun.
Get rid of any weeds you see.
Wait to see the seed grow.
Feed the Seed