Read and write words with the two long e spellings
-ee and -ea.
- Sea sign and picture cards*
- Tree sign and picture cards*
- Word cards*
- Manatee in the Sea target text*
- Peach in a Tree target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will find things that live in the sea and by a tree and will read and write long e words spelled -ee and -ea, such as tree, bee, see, sea, leaf, and seal.
Place items in the sea or by a tree
- Display the words see and sea and explain that the words have different spellings and meanings.
- Hide the picture cards of the things that live in the sea and by a tree (both found below).
- Let the children gather and sort the picture cards according to where the items might be found: in the sea or by a tree?
- Tell the children to place the picture cards by the signs What do you see in the sea? or What do you see by a tree? (both found below).
- Help the children make a list of words spelled with -ee (e.g., see, eel, manatee, seaweed, tree, beetle, seed, weed, bee) and with -ea (e.g., seal, seahorse, seashell, seaweed, leaf, peach).
- Point out that seaweed has both spelling patterns.
Sort word cards by spelling pattern
- Mix up the -ee and -ea word cards (found below) and have the children put the words with -ee in one column and those with -ea in another.
Read target words in a text
- Read the Manatee in the Sea target text (found below) to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the text with you.
- Read the Manatee in the Sea again, fading support.
- Have the children circle the words spelled with -ee.
- Have the children underline words spelled with -ea.
- Repeat with Peach in a Tree (found below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Introduce a word wall displaying the words see, tree, bee, seed, weed, eel, sea, seal, seashell, peach, leaf.
- Have the children write a sentence or two using words from the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
Peach in a Tree
I see a beetle crawling on the tree.
I see a bee flying by the tree.
I see a weed sprouting near the tree.
I hear the breeze rustle leaves in the tree.
I hear three sheep bleating by the tree.
I hear a peach drop from the branches of the tree.
I can see and hear many things by a tree!
Manatee in the Sea
I see some seaweed growing in the sea.
I feel a breeze blowing by the sea.
I feel sand between my toes on the beach by the sea.
I hear seagulls screeching by the sea.
I hear waves crashing on the beach by the sea.
I love to be by the sea!
Manatee in the Sea