Whirl and Swirl
Read and write words that are spelled
with -ir and -ur.
- Clear cups
- Food dye
- Jar or bottle
- Paper-doll graphic
- Blender graphic
- Twirl, Swirl, and Whirl target text
- A Blender Whirls, Twirls, and Swirls target text
The children will pretend to whirl, swirl, and twirl a drink in a blender and then read and write words with -ir and -ur, such as whirl, swirl, twirl, girl, and curl.
- Show the children the paper-doll graphic with curls.
- Invite the children to take turns twirling the girl.
- Comment, "The girl twirls and her curls swirl and whirl!”
- Have the children give the command "Twirl the girl!" to other children.
- Have the children twirl each other.
Swirl and whirl colors
- Have the children make signs that say, "Swirl!" and "Whirl!"
- Place a drop of food coloring in the clear cup that is about 3/4 full of water.
- Explain that the water needs to be swirled.
- Invite the children to hold up their signs and say, "Swirl!" and "Whirl!"
- Slowly stir the food dye in the water.
- Let the children pretend to swirl and whirl the water.
Swirl and whirl and twirl in a blender
- Show a picture of a blender that whirls, swirls, and twirls.
- Have the children pretend to be a blender, jiggling back and forth and whirling, swirling, and twirling.
- Let the children hold a pretend blender jar (a cup) and make whirling, twirling, and swirling motions.
Read target words in texts
- Read the Twirl, Swirl, and Whirl target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Have the children twirl when they hear a word spelled with -ir and -ur.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the A Blender Whirls, Twirls, and Swirls target text.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Let each child practice writing words as you say them: swirl, whirl, twirl, girl, curl.
- Let the children write about what they did during the activity (i.e., “We twirled the girl with curls.”).
SEEL Target Texts
A Blender Whirls, Twirls, and Swirls
Turn your blender on.
Feel the blender as it twirls.
Listen to the blender whirl.
Watch the blender swirl.
Push a button to turn your blender off.
Now the blender does not whirl, twirl, or swirl.
Twirl, Swirl, and Whirl
A girl with curls likes to twirl.
The girl whirls around.
And her curls swirl and whirl around too.
Do you like to twirl, swirl, and whirl?
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.C: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
Whirl and Swirl