Read and write words ending in -y with the long e sound.
- Picture of a haunted house (optional)*
- A Scary House target text*
- A Visit to a Creepy Place target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will read about a scary trip they take through a creepy house and read and write words that end in -y with the long e sound, such as spooky, freaky, funny, and silly.
Introduce a scary, creepy house
- Show the children words that end in y that have the long e sound (e.g., creaky, squeaky, creepy, spooky, smelly, leaky, freaky, scurry, funny, happy, silly, scary, hurry, stinky, chilly).
- Point out that some of the words have a double letter that makes a single sound (e.g., happy, silly, funny, and hurry).
Take a pretend trip through the scary house
- Read the target text A Scary House (found below) with the children.
- Say, “Let’s visit a spooky house! But don’t worry—it’s just a silly, pretend place.”
- Read the text again and act out the sentences:
- We hurry up the twisty path. (Twist body back and forth and stomp feet.)
- The night is dark and chilly. (Cup hands around eyes, pretend to shiver.)
- Then we walk up the creaky stairs. (Pretend to go up stairs, say “creak.”)
- We open the squeaky door. (Pretend to open a door, say “squeak.”)
- Watch out for the slippery floors! (Pretend to lose balance and sway.)
- It’s creepy in here! (Look around with wide, scared eyes.)
- Tiptoe down the spooky hall. (Tiptoe and look around.)
- Ew! It’s smelly in here! (Pinch nose.)
- What’s that? Water from the leaky roof? (Hold up hand, pretend to catch water drops.)
- Stop! I hear a freaky sound! (Cup hand around ear[d][e][f], or make ghost sounds.)
- Let’s scurry home! Hurry! (Pretend to run.)
- That was a silly, scary house! We are happy to be home! (Give a big sigh of relief.)
Write about a creepy place
- Read a list of descriptive words with the children that relate to the trip through the scary house.
- Have the children write words from dictation (e.g., scary, silly, twisty, creaky, squeaky, creepy, spooky, smelly, leaky, freaky, scurry, funny, happy).
- Let the children finish writing sentences by using words from the list
- We saw a house that was . . .
- We heard a sound that was . . .
- We tiptoed down a hall that was . . .
Read about write about a visit to a creepy place
- Read A Visit to a Creepy Place (found below) to the children.
- Read the text with the children, fading support.
SEEL Target Texts
But don’t worry—it’s just a silly, pretend place.
We hurry up the twisty path.
The night is dark and chilly.
We walk up the creaky stairs.
We open the squeaky door.
Watch out for the slippery floors!
Tiptoe down the spooky hall.
Ew! It’s smelly in here!
What’s that? Water from the leaky roof?
Stop! I hear a freaky sound!
Let’s scurry home! Hurry!
That was a silly, scary house.
We are happy to be home!
A Visit to a Creepy Place
It was . . .
But do not worry!
It was just a funny, pretend place!
Creepy, Squeaky House