Read and write words that contain the long i -ie vowel combination.
- Picture of a box of raisins*
- Picture of potato chips*
- Picture of a pie*
- Strips of paper to make fries
- Word-building cards*
- Dried or Fried Food target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to try fried and dried foods and read and write words with the -ie vowel combination, such as tried, lied, fried, spied, and dried.
Fried and dried food
- Tell the children that you spied dried raisins and fried potato chips at the store.
- Ask the children if they like fried potato chips, french fries, or dried fruit.
Tie up and try fries
- Give the children the paper strips to be french fries, a picture of a pie (found below), and a string.
- Let the children pretend to eat the paper fries and paper pie.
- Have the children write fry on each fry.
- Tell the children that they will tie up fries.
- Let the children tie several fries in a bunch.
- Have the children write tied up fries on the bunch of fries
- Let the children use a string to tie up fries and the pie.
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning constant(s) or ending:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): fried→ dried, tried→ spied, fries→ pies
- Change the ending: fry→ fries→ fried, spy→ spies→ spied, try→ tries→ tried
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the Dried or Fried Food target text (found below) as a class.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Help the children make a list of words with the -ie vowel combination.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Display a word wall with the words tried, fried, dried, lied, spied, cried, flies, dried, tied, fries, pie, cried, and flied.
- Have the children write something that uses words from the word wall (e.g., “I tried fries. I tried a pie. I tried a dried grape. A raisin is a dried grape.”).
SEEL Target Texts
Dried or Fried Food?
I spied dried fruits.
I spied fried potatoes.
I liked the dried fruit: a raisin.
I liked the fried potatoes: potato chips.
That’s not a lie.
The dried food was good, but I liked the fried food best.
Dried or Fried Food