Read and write words with long i vowel pattern –igh (e.g., tonight, flight).
- Word cards (see below)
- Light graphics (see below)
- Nightlight and lamp (optional)
- I Need a Night Light target text (see below)
- The Light is too Bright target text (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will play with a night light and they will read and write words with the long i spelling pattern -igh: night, light, bright, right, tonight.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Kinds of light
- Explain to the children that there are different sources of light, such as lamp light and sunlight.
- Turn off the lights then shine a flashlight on the word cards (see below).
- Explain that the word cards show kinds of light.
- Help the children read the words using the flashlight to see the cards.
- Point out that the words on the cards are spelled with –ight.
- Turn on the lights then show the children the light graphics (see below).
- Have the children label the graphics: sunlight, street light, lamp light, flashlight, nightlight, and lighthouse.
- Night Light
- Tell the children that they will pretend to sleep, so they need to find the right amount of light.
- Speak with the children about how it is easiest to go to sleep when the light is not bright.
- Have the children make signs saying just right and too bright.
- Show the children the light pictures and ask “Is this light right?” for each picture.
- Have the children hold up a sign for each picture to indicate if the light is just right or too bright for sleeping at night.
- Comment that night lights are not bright so they are just right for sleeping at night.
- Turn off the lights and show children the light of a night light and lamp
- Have the children pretend to go to sleep with just a night light on, then have them “wake up” as you turn the rest of the lights back on.
Apply the skill
- Read target words in texts (see below)
- Engage the children in shared reading of the target text I Need a Night Light (see below).
- Have the children make a list of the words spelled with igh: night, light, right, tonight, bright, nightlight.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Repeat with the target text The Light is Too Bright.
- Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Create a word wall of words from the activities and text spelled with –igh: night, light, right, tonight, sight, bright, sunlight, street light, lamp light, flashlight, night light.
- Have the children write about kinds of light using words from the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
The Light is too Bright
The light is very bright.
The light tonight is too bright.
I turn off my lamp light.
I hide the street lights.
But my nightlight is very bright.
It is still not the right amount of light.
There is still too much light.
So I turn off my night light.
Now this is right.
Now the night is not too bright.
I can sleep tonight!
I Need a Night Light
The dark gives me a fright.
The lamp light is too bright.
A flashlight is not right.
I need a night light!
A night light is not too bright.
A night light gives the right amount of light.
A night light is just right.
I can sleep tonight if I turn on my nightlight.