Read and write words with the long i vowel pattern
- Day's Light sentence strips*
- Night Light sentence strips*
- Bright Light target text*
- Things I Do in the Light target text*
- Pretend It Is Night target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will play a game with a light and will read and write words with the long i sound spelling -igh: light, night, bright, right, fright, flight, and sight.
See in the day’s light and the night’s light
- Explain that the day’s light comes from sunlight and the night’s light comes from moonlight.
- Help the children read the sentences on the Day’s Light sentence strips (see below).
- Turn off the lights and pretend that it is night.
- Shine a flashlight on the Night’s Light sentence strips (see below) and help the children read the sentences.
Make Light and Night signs
- Have the children make signs saying Light and Night.
- Let children hold up the Night sign while you turn off the light in the room.
- Have the children hold up the Light sign and turn on the light.
Create a bright night
- Read the target text Bright Light (see below) and allow the children to act out the story:
- Turn off the light.
- Close eyes and pretend it is night.
- Turn on a flashlight.
- Open eyes to see the light.
- Shine a flashlight around the room to see the sights.
- Make a frightening face.
- Turn on a bright light.
- Open eyes wide to see the bright light.
- Look around the room to see nice sights.
- Comment that, in the light, we don’t see any sights that give us fright.
- Close eyes tight and pretend to sleep.
- Have the children make a list of the words that are spelled with -igh (e.g., tight, night, light, flashlight, fright, sight, bright).
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading Things I Do in the Light (see below) together with the group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Read Pretend It Is Night with the children and fade support.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Create a word wall with the words tight, night, light, flashlight, fright, sight, bright, flight, and might.
- Have the children write about what they see or feel at night and in bright light.
SEEL Target Texts
Things I Do in the Light
I can do some things in the day’s light,
and I can do some things in the night’s light.
In day’s light, I can see a bird in flight.
In day’s light, I can see the sun shine bright.
In night’s light, I can see a firefly in flight.
In night’s light, I can see the moon's silver light.
Let’s shut our eyes tight.
Now it is night.
Night! Night! There is no light.
We open our eyes and see a flashlight.
We make a face that can give a fright.
What a sight!
Turn on a bright light.
Bright! Bright! It is bright.
Here and there we see a nice sight.
But with a bright light we do not see a fright.
Now we can shut our eyes tight and sleep through the night.
Pretend it is Night
pretend it is night,
see a flashlight,
see a frightful sight.
see a bright light.
see a nice sight,
sleep tight at night.