- Small toy race cars
- Race track (see photos below)
- Race Car Spelling Template*
- Race Day target text*
*Items included below
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they will read and act out a story about race cars.
Read Race Day target text together
- Read Race Day (see below) with the children, fading support as appropriate.
- Repeat, having the children circle words that end in -ay and underline words that end in -ace.
Race cars around a track
- Allow children to choose a race car and race it around the race track.
- Read sentences from the text and have the children act them out using the race cars and the track.
Write words that end in -ay and -ace
- Comment that the words with -ay and -ase and -ace all have the long-a vowel.
- Have the children write words that end in -ay and -ace from dictation (e.g., day, gray, stay, race, place, chase) in the appropriate race car on the Race Car Spelling Template (see below).
SEEL Target Texts
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.