Wait to Pay for a Cake
- Paper plates
- Picture cards*
- Word cards*
- Make a Cake for a Bake Sale target text*
- Sell Cakes at the Bake Sale target text*
- Take Home a Cake target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will set up a bake sale and pretend to sell and buy cakes as they read and write long-a words such as pay, cake, bake, sale, make, paid, and plate.
Bake a cake
- Read the Make a Cake for a Bake Sale target text (see below) with the children; support as needed.
- Point out that words with ay, a_e, and ai all have a long-a sound.
- Have the children read words with a long-a sound (e.g., bake, make, take, shake, day, wait, fail).
- Let the children mix flour and water in a bowl, or use pictures of ingredients (see below).
- After the children mix the ingredients, have them draw a picture of cake on a paper plate.
- Have the children write cake, plate, and make a cake from dictation on their plate drawing.
Make signs and pretend to set up a cake sale
- Read the Sell Cakes at the Bake Sale and Take Home a Cake texts (see below).
- Support the children in writing bake sale signs (e.g., Tom’s Bake Sale, Emma’s Cake Shop, A Bake Sale, Pay for a Cake, Wait to Pay).
- Have the children read each other’s signs.
- Have the children pretend to pay for each other’s cake drawings.
Use word cards to sort long a words
- Using word cards (see below), have the children separate the words according to the spelling of the vowel.
- Have the children write words spelled with ay, a_e, and ai from dictation.
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Cake for a Bake Sale
It is a nice day for a bake sale.
We will make the best cakes without fail!
I can’t wait to make a cake for the bake sale.
Take out the things that go in a cake.
Shake in the cake mix.
Make the batter.
Wait while the cake bakes.
Take the cake out of the oven.
Sell Cakes at the Bake Sale
Place the cakes on a tray.
Make space on the tray for plates of cake.
Make tags that say how much to pay.
Kids, moms, and dads wait in line at our bake sale.
See who will claim a cake from a plate on the tray.
Take Home a Cake
Stay in line to keep your place.
Pay for your cake.
You will like the taste of that cake!
It was baked today.
We take it away.
Now we get to share the cake.
Cut a slice of cake.
Lay the slice of cake on a plate.
Now we get to taste the cake.
We ate a lot of cake.
But a few crumbs stay on the plate.
Shake the stale crumbs off the plates.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Wait to Pay for a Cake