- Scraps of plain cloth
- Spray bottle
- Sink strainer or cup with holes in the bottom
- Word-building cards*
- Picture of a plane*
- Look, a Stain! target text*
- Rain on a Plane and in a Drain target text*
- A few grains of oats, wheat, or barley, etc.
- Picture cards of -ain and -ane words* (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will make a stain, make it rain, and let water go down a drain while reading words that end with -ain and -ane, such as rain and plane.
Turn a plain cloth into a not plain cloth
- Give a plain cloth to the children in groups.
- Let the children make a quick design with a marker to make it not plain.
Make it rain on a stain
- Show the children a plain cloth and tell them that a plain cloth is a cloth with nothing on it.
- Make a stain on the plain cloth using a washable marker.
- Show the children the cloth with the marker stain.
- Make rain by spraying or sprinkling water on the stain.
- Comment that the rain doesn’t wash out the stain.
- Have the children write “The rain didn’t get rid of the stain."
Make it rain on a plane
- Contrast the meaning and spelling of the words plain and plane.
- Give the children a plain cloth and a picture of a plane (found below).
- Have the children write plain and plane.
- Make it rain on the plane by spraying or sprinkling water on it.
- Let the children draw pictures of things that end with -ain or -ane (e.g., drain, chain, train, plane, cane) or use the -ain and -ane picture cards (found below).
- Have the children label their pictures.
- Make it rain on each picture and say, “It rains on a ____.”
Drain water through a strainer
- Make it rain in a strainer (or cup with holes in the bottom) and watch the rain drain out of the bottom.
- Strain the water out of the soaked grains.
- Have the children write words to dictation (e.g., strain, drain, grain, rain).
Strain grains in a strainer
- Give the children a grain of wheat, barley, or oats.
- Ask the children to write the word grain to gain another grain.
- Explain that grain is often rinsed in a strainer.
- Let the children place their grain in water and drain out the water with a strainer.
- Have the children write, “What a pain to strain grain,” or “It is a pain to strain grain.”
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants or adding a new consonant:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): grain→ train, rain→ drain, lane→ plane, pain→ plain, stain→ strain
- Change the vowels: plain→ plane, main→ mane
- Change the ending consonant(s): rain→ raid, pain→ paid, brain→ braid
Read target words
- Read the target text Look, a Stain! (found below) together as a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with Rain on a Plane and in a Drain (found below).
Write about the activity using target words
- Have the children write -ai words from dictation (e.g., plain, stain, rain, gain, grain, strain, drain).
- Have the children write -ane words from dictation (e.g., plane, lane, cane).
- Let the children write words that would fit into sentence frames:
- We made a ____ (stain) on a cloth that was ____ (plain).
- We made it ____ (rain) on the ____ (stain).
- We made it ____ (rain) down a ____ (drain).
- We made it ____ (rain) on a ____ (train) and ____ (plane).
- We used a strainer to ____ (strain) some ____ (grain).
- Ask the children to write about how they played with rain, drains, and strainers:
- “We got to . . .” (e.g., get a stain out with rain, make it rain on a plane, make it rain in a strainer, stain a plain cloth, make rain go down a drain, strain grains).
SEEL Target Texts
Look, a Stain!
I don’t want my shirt to have a stain.
How will I get it off?
Will the rain wash out the stain?
I don’t think the rain will get rid of the stain.
Rain on a Plane and in a Drain
We saw it rain on a plane and in a drain.
We saw rain drip down a window pane.
We saw rain drain down a drain.
We saw it rain on a plane.
Then we saw the rain go down the drain.
Rain Goes Down a Drain