- Race Day target text*
- Race track (see photos below)
- Small toy race cars
- Race Car Spelling Template*
*Items included below
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they will read and act out a story about race cars.
Read Race Day target text together
- Read Race Day (see below) with the children, fading support as appropriate.
- Repeat, having the children circle words that end in -ay and underline words that end in -ace.
Race cars around a track
- Allow children to choose a race car and race it around the race track.
- Read sentences from the text and have the children act them out using the race cars and the track.
Write words that end in -ay and -ace
- Have the children write words that end in -ay and -ace from dictation (e.g., day, gray, stay, race, place, chase) in the appropriate race car on the Race Car Spelling Template (see below).
SEEL Target Texts
Reading: Foundational Skills Standard 3 c.
Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.