- A pot with a towel covering the top
- Picture cards or items to hide in the pot (e.g., a penny, a ball of yarn, a rock, history or mystery books, a small plastic spider or cricket, candy)
- Word cards*
- Icky Crazy Soup target text*
- Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel (2011) (optional)
- Stone Soup by Marcia Brown (1947) (optional)
*Items included below.
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will make an icky, yucky soup and will read and write words that end in the long e vowel -y, such as quickly, shiny, penny, prickly, frizzy, tiny, dirty, many, and sticky.
- Read Stone Soup by Marcia Brown or Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel (optional).
- Read the word cards (see below) with the children and point out that the long e words end in -y.
- Place the items or picture cards (see below) in the covered pot.
- Let the children pull out the items from the pot one at a time.
- Have the children choose a word card to go with each item (e.g., shiny penny, fuzzy yarn, dusty key, dirty rock, tiny spider, sticky candy).
- Have the children put the items and word cards back in the pot to make a crazy, yucky soup.
Read target words in texts
- Read the target text Icky Crazy Soup (see below) to the children.
- Have the children underline the words that end with -y in the text.
- Read the text again to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Display -y words on a word wall (e.g., shiny, fuzzy, dusty, dirty, tiny, sticky, prickly, penny, candy, icky, goopy, frizzy, messy, jelly, shrimpy, yummy, slimy, grimy, kitty, fluffy).
- Let the children write about putting crazy things in a soup (e.g., “We put fuzzy yarn in a crazy soup”).
- Have the children rewrite the text using words from the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
Icky Crazy Soup
Quickly! Quickly! We need to make some goopy soup!
We can throw in many things . . .
One shiny penny,
Two prickly thorns,
Three fuzzy balls of yarn,
Four dirty rocks,
Five pieces of sticky candy,
Six jars of messy jelly,
Seven itsy-bitsy spiders,
Eight tiny crickets,
Nine yummy blueberries,
Ten fluffy kitty cats,
And twenty sticky stickers!
It’s fun to make an icky, sticky, goopy soup!
Icky, Crazy Soup