- Paper plates or picture of a plate*
- Paper french fries*
- Paper pie*
- Plastic fly or picture of a fly*
- Word-building cards*
- A Fly Tries My Fry target text*
- A Fly in the Sky target text*
- Real french fries and real pie (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will shoo a fly away from fries and a pie and will read and write words with the long i vowel spelled -ie and -y, such as fry, fly, spy, lie, pie, fries, tries, and spies.
Play I Try a Fry
- Give groups of children real or paper plates (found below) with paper fries (found below) to try.
- Spy a fry on a child’s plate and try a fry.
- Let the children spy a fry on another child’s plate and try a fry.
- Have the children write, “My fry,” “I spy a fry,” or “Try a fry” on a piece of paper.
Spy and try a piece of pie
- Let the children have paper pie (found below).
- Have one child spy pie on another person’s plate and try their pie.
- Have the children write “My pie,” or Try some pie” on their piece of paper.
A fly tries a fry and some pie
- Let the children pretend to be a fly, spy a fry, and try a fry.
- Have a child say, “Don’t land on my fry!”
- Have the fly spy some pie.
- Let the fly try pie.
- Have a child say, “Don’t land on my pie!”
- Tell the fly to fly away and to not try fries or pie.
- With word-building cards (found below), have the children make new words by changing the beginning consonants or the endings:
- Change the beginning consonant: fly→ fry, spy→ sky, try→ dry, my→ by, pie→ lie, tie→ pie
- Change the endings: fry→ fries→ fried, fly→ flies→ flied, try→ tries→ tried, spy→ spies→ spied
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the target text A Fly Tries My Fry (found below) together as a class or group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the -ie and -y vowels.
- Repeat with Try Some Fries (found below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Let the children write words from dictation (e.g., fly, fry, try, spy, my, by, pie, fries, tries, flies, spies, why, cry, sky, tie).
- Use the words to make a word wall and have the children use it to write about a fly that spies and tries fries and pie.
SEEL Target Texts
A Fly in the Sky
I spy a fly in the sky.
Oh, no! The fly is on my pie!
I spy a fly on my pie.
“That is my pie,” I cry.
I cry, “That is my pie!”
Fly away, fly!
The fly is in the sky.
Now I can eat my pie.
A Fly Tries my Fry
I spy a fly in the sky.
Oh, no! Now I spy a fly on my fry!
Why is the fly on my fry?
I cry, “That is my fry!”
Fly away, fly! Fly, fly away, fly!
Now the fly is in the sky.
And now I can eat my fry.
A Fly Tries a Fry