- Crumpled pieces of white paper
- Word Cards with -ow*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to throw snow as they read and write long o words spelled with -ow, such as blow, throw, snow, slow, show, grow, and bow.
Make and show snow
- Have the children write the words blow, snow, throw, show, and slow on a piece of paper.
- Have the children crumple their piece of paper to make a snowball.
- Let the children show off, blow, and throw their snowball up in the air.
- Let the children stand in a row.
- Have the children place their paper snowballs in a row at their feet.
- Let the children throw their snowballs up in the air and then catch them.
- Have the children rip a tiny piece of their snowball to make a snowflake.
- Let the children see if they can blow the snowflake across a desk.
- Let them throw their snowflakes one at a time, going down the row.
Win a bow
- Scatter the word cards (found below) face up on the floor.
- Have the children throw their paper snowball so that it lands on a word card.
Write target words
- Display a word wall with -ow words (e.g., flow, know, below, low, snow, throw, blow, bow, stow, glow, show, slow, slowly, grow, tow).
- Have the children use some of the words as they write about playing in the snow.
Blow and Throw Snow