- A fake rose or pictures of roses*
- Drinking straw
- Word cards with -ose and -oze words*
- Word-building cards*
- I Chose a Rose target text*
- Pose with a Rose target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pose with a rose and then read and write words that end in -ose or -oze, such as rose, pose, nose, doze, and froze.
Choose a rose
- Show the children a rose or the pictures of roses (see below).
- Let the children choose a rose.
- Have the children write the sentence “I chose a rose,” from dictation.
Pose with and smell a rose
- Tell the children to hold the rose to their nose to see if it has a smell.
- Let the children pose with the rose.
- Pretend to take pictures as the children pose with a rose.
- Give each child a strip of paper and allow them to write an -ose or -oze word.
- Have the children read their word then strike a pose.
Use a hose to water the rose
- Tell the children that they will water their rose with a hose.
- Dip a straw into water, cover the top of the straw with your thumb, and let the water run onto a rose.
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): rose→ nose, hose→ chose→ those
- Change the ending consonant: hose→ hope, nose→ note, pose→ poke
- Change a vowel: rose→ rise, those→ these
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the target text I Chose a Rose (see below) as a group.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words ending in -ose.
- Repeat with Pose with a Rose (see below).
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Have the children assist in making a word wall with rose, pose, chose, close, suppose, hose, oppose, impose, expose, inclose, propose, froze, doze, and those.
- Engage the children in writing about how they chose a rose, took a pose with a rose, and watered the rose with a hose.
- Present sentence-completion frames for the children to complete:
- I picked a ____ (rose).
- I ____ (chose) a pretty paper ____ (rose).
- I put the ____ (rose) to my ____ (nose) to smell it.
- I ____ (posed) with the ____ (rose).
- I ____ (chose) a funny ____ (pose).
- I chose a pretty ____ (rose) and took a funny ____ (pose).
SEEL Target Texts
I Chose a Rose
The rose was a pretty, red rose.
I put the rose to my nose to smell the rose.
I posed with the rose.
I chose a funny pose.
I suppose that I chose the best pose.
And I chose a pretty rose.
Pose with a Rose
Put the rose to your nose.
Smell the rose.
Smell the rose with your nose.
Do a pose with the rose.
Pose with your rose.
Put a Rose to Your Nose