- Straws cut in half
- Paper towel roll or rolled up paper
- Cube-shaped box or block
- Lute graphic
- Flute graphic
- Music sign
- Mute sign
- Play a Tune target text
- Mute that Flute! target text
- A lute (instructions below)
State and Model the Objective
The children will play a flute, tube, cube, or lute while they read and write words spelled with the long-u–silent-e vowel pattern such as, mute, tune, flute, and cute.
Play music on a flute, tube, lute, or cube
- Show how a straw can be a pretend flute.
- Show how to play a tune on the lute.
- Allow children to bang on a cube-shaped box or block.
- Demonstrate how to play a tune on a tube by blowing across the top of the paper towel roll or rolled up paper.
- Let the children play a flute, tube, lute, or cube.
- Comment that it could be rude to play loud and that they should mute the sound and not be rude.
Mute the sound of the flute, tube, or lute
- Explain that when someone mutes a flute, tube, or lute, they make it quieter.
- Organize a flute, lute, cube, and tube band.
- Show how to mute, or quiet, the sound by placing a hand on the vibrating flute, tube, or lute.
- Hold up the Music sign when the children are to make music.
- Hold up the Mute sign when the children should lower or muffle the sound.
Read target words/patterns introduced in the activity
- Show words containing the long-u–silent-e pattern: tune, flute, mute, cute, lute, glue, true, rule, due, tube, use, blue, clue, rule, cube, duke, mule, dude, rude.
- Read the words together as a class.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Read the Play a Tune target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Instruct the children to write words on the paper flute or tube as you say them: tune, flute, mute, lute, cube, tube, rude.
- Fading support as needed, help the children read the target text Mute that Flute!
- Instruct the children to write a sentence or two about what they did using words spelled with the long-u–silent-e vowel pattern.
How to Make a Lute
- Take an empty tissue box and cut out a hole on one side.
- Attach string or rubber bands on the inside of the hole.
- Attach a paper towel roll to the top of the box to form the handle.
- Begin to strum!
SEEL Target Texts
Play a Tune
Use a tube to make a flute.
Bang on a cube to make a drum.
Use a box to make a lute.
Now play your tune and don’t be rude!
Play a tune on a flute, cube, or lute!
Mute That Flute!
But we broke a rule: no loud tunes.
It might be rude to play loud.
We had to mute our tune.
Mute the flute.
Mute the cube.
Mute the tube.
Mute the lute.
Play a quiet tune on a lute, tube, cube, or flute.
Mute That Flute