Load a Boat with Goats
Read and write words with the oa vowel combination.
- Toy goat or pictures of a goat*
- Toy boat, a bowl that will float, or a handmade paper boat*
- Oats or pictures of oats*
- Small pan of water
- Word cards with oa words*
- Coat and cloak patterns* (optional)
- Goats Float in a Boat target text*
- Don’t Eat the Boat, Goat! target text*
- Goats Load a Boat with Oats target text*
*Items included below.
The children will load goats and oats in a boat and will read and write words with the oa vowel combination, such as soak, float, cloak, and boast.
Load a boat with goats and oats
- Put a toy boat, bowl, or handmade paper boat in a small amount of water.
- Ask the children if the boat floats.
- Let the children load the boat with oats (a few flakes each or the pictures found below) and the word cards containing oa (found below).
Load a boat with oa words
- Let the children write “Goats like oats,” or “Goats and oats.”
- Have the children write oa words from dictation (e.g., oat, goat, boat, soak, coat, soap, float, cloak, boast).
- Have the children read the oa words and then load the oa words into a boat.
- See if the boat will float.
Make a coat and cloak for a goat
- Let the children cut out a coat or cloak from the patterns (found below) or let the children draw a coat or cloak.
- Have the children write coat or cloak on the paper coat or cloak or on the patterns.
- Put the coat or cloak on the goat.
See if a boat floats
- Read the Goats Load a Boat with Oats target text (found below) to the children as they put the toy goat or a picture of a goat (found below), boat, and coat or cloak in water to see if they float.
- Comment on how the boats and coats will get soaked.
- Moan and groan as the boat gets soaked or when it’s time to get off the boat.
Read target words in texts
- Have the children write a list of words from the activity with the oa vowel.
- Engage the children in reading Goats Float in a Boat (found below) with you.
Read the text again, fading support
- Read Don’t Eat the Boat, Goat! (found below) to the children.
- Read it again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the oa vowel combination from the text as you read it together again.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Display a word wall that contains the words goat, boat, oak, soap, boast, toast, loan, cloak, coat, coast, float, foam, gloat, groan, load, moan, oats, and soak.
- Let the children write about the goats in the boat while using the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
Don’t Eat the Boat, Goat!
Goats Float in a Boat
Goats Load a Boat with Oats
Load a Boat with Goats