Join and Enjoy the Game
Read and write words that contain the oi and oy vowel combinations; recognize both spellings as having the same pronunciation.
- Coins to join a game
- Signs for the games (see below)
- Coil a Rope game
- Different sizes of string or rope to coil
- Pieces of string or rope to form into letters for the vowel combinations oi and oy
- Toss a Coin game
- Word cards (see below)
- Flip a Coin for a Toy game (for a choice to see a toy)
- A few small toys or pictures of toys (see below)
- Paper to write the choice of heads or tails on a coin
- Word cards for a sorting words into category by spelling (see below)
- A Coin to Join an Enjoyable Game target text (see below)
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will join a game with a coin while they read and write words that have the oi/oy vowel pattern. Make a list of words that contain oi/oy: coin, join, avoid, coil, choice, toy, joy, boy, enjoy, annoy. Emphasize that although some of these words are spelled differently they sound the same.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Make a choice
- Write choice on the board and point out that the word choice has the oi vowel pattern.
- Explain that the –ce spelling at the end of choice makes the /s/ sound.
- Set up the different games (coil a rope, toss a coin, flip a coin) with the materials and sign for each game in different areas of the room.
- Tell the children they will pay with a coin to join a game: Toss a Coin, Coil a Rope, Flip a Coin.
- Show the children the three games and have them read the signs for each game.
- Tell the children to make a choice about which game to join with a coin.
- Have the children give you a coin to join a game, and tell them to enjoy their choice.
- Coil a Rope
- Let the children coil different sizes of strings or ropes and time them to see how long it takes them to coil the different sizes.
- Have the children use pieces of string/rope to form the letters in the vowel combinations oi and oy.
- Toss a Coin
- Cut out word cards and spread them out on the floor or leave the word cards in the grid (see below)
- Tell the children to toss a coin onto a word and read that word or the word that is closest to the coin.
- Flip a Coin for a Toy
- Set out two small toys (or pictures of toys) and label them “toy 1” and “toy 2.”
- Show the children the toys and tell them they will flip a coin to make a choice about which toy (or picture of a toy) to hold.
- Show the children the two sides of the coin and explain that one side is called “heads” and the other is called “tails.”
- Tell the children to write a sentence such as the following to state their choice for a toy: “If the coin shows heads then my choice is toy 1 and if the coin shows tails my choice is toy 2.” Provide support, such as a sentence frame as needed.
- Have the children flip the coin and choose the toy (or picture of a toy) that matches their choice.
- Repeat the game with other toys (optional).
Apply the skill
- Sort words into categories by spelling (oi/oy)
- Cut out the word cards (see below) for the word sort game then mix them up.
- Have the children sort words into categories according to the oi and oy spellings.
- Tell the children to read the words from both categories.
- Emphasize that the two different spellings are pronounced the same in all of the words.
- Read target words in texts (see below)
- Engage the children in reading the text A Coin to Join an Enjoyable Game as a class/group.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Ask the children to listen for –oi/oy words as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the words with the –oi and –oy vowel patterns in the text.
- Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Give each child a paper and pencil and let them write about what they did when they made a choice to join the games to flip a coin, toss a coin, or coil a rope. Have them include these words: choice, coin, coil, join, toy, enjoy, boy.
SEEL Target Texts
A Coin to Join an Enjoyable Game
Pay a coin to join the game.
Toss a coin on words like joy and join.
Flip a coin to make a choice to get a toy.
Coil a rope as fast as you can.
Oh boy! Enjoy the game that you got to join with a coin!
Join and Enjoy the Game